Chapter Eighty-Seven

It was inevitable that Lucius didn't seem to care much about his son, when it comes to choosing between others and something that could jeopardise his reputation, it was obvious that he was going to pick the cowardly route. And with no surprise thats exactly what he decided on doing at this moment, he avoided her proposition completely not even bothering to answer instead storming out the room Narcissa following after him attempting to knock some sense or maybe emotion into that cold heart of his, but it was useless from the start and the one person who was able to see that was Draco.

"You should go talk to them" I glanced up and looked at him just as taken back as he was, seeing Narcissa walk off like that showed how desperate she was for her son to be happy and I knew that Draco couldn't see that. He was more or less blinded by his ignorance, too focused on what Lucius thought of him to notice that she wanted nothing more than to be there for him. He looked down at me blankly trying to wrap his head around what I just said, I could tell he was still holding a grudge about last night so he probably wasn't in the mood to take orders from me any time soon.

"Talk to them? Are you mad, I didn't break you out to fucking council me Y/n. You don't even know them." Draco whispered back to me, it was like I had said something completely out of context, which looking back I can agree with, I knew it was a little far fetched but sometimes the things you would never have thought twice about end up being the one that is the most useful.

"No but I know you well enough to see that you're distancing yourself from them, you spend too much time trying to impress your father to see that you still have a mother who cares. I'm not stupid Draco, I've seen it" From what Narcissa has told me he acted just as cold with his parents than he did anyone else, I can't blame him, I consider myself the same but knowing that I won't ever make emends with them was a constant reminder of how alone I was, and I didn't want him to be put in the same position. He's distanced himself, but not completely.

"Who are you to presume things, you know nothing of the sort Ceradwin. I've already wasted enough time, I'm not letting you waste any more of it. Besides, they don't listen to me anyway." His voice cracked coming across as hurt, I sympathised for him of course but I couldn't say that I agree with him. I knew what his father was like, cruel and uncompassionate and he was right that he won't change no matter how hard you try but he was missing the point, I couldn't let him leave without

"What time is it?" I asked quite abruptly, he paused confused by the quick change of subject. He pulled up his sleeve and fumbled for his watch still annoyed by my assumptions, but I was too busy glancing out the window to notice his scowl.

"I don't know 7, 8 maybe? Why, why are you asking me this?" He shook his head now becoming more agitated by my behaviour, I suppose it looked unusual but sitting in a cell for hours on end having no concept of time can do that to you. After all it gave me time to recollect on certain parts of me that I never thought about and seeing how distraught Narcissa was sparked something that made me look at everything differently.

"They're setting off at 9, I overheard them. Voldemort wants Harry dead and for all I know he'll kill anyone in the process, but I'm not moving till I know you've talked to her" It was clear by the way he reacted he knew very little about the plans for tonight, he took a seat on the stairs and ran his hands through his hair, the reality of The Dark Lords aims finally kicking in. I looked down on him knowing we hadn't much time until we had to leave too, someone would have noticed we were gone eventually but I knew if he left without saying anything it'd slowly eat away at him.

"They all still think I'm in the cellar, don't you see? No one notices I'm gone, you're more important and I know you'll regret it if you don't. So go" I wanted so badly for him to just talk to his mother because having one that couldn't care less about you was much worse than not having one at all but that wasn't the case for him. I crouched down and grabbed his hand ushering him up as he was still in a slight state of shock, his face a lot paler than it was when I first saw him. He didn't bother bickering about it, knew that I wanted him to do it more on my part than anything else and he was more or less right, I didn't want to watch as he made the same mistake I did.

I sat on the cold stone stairs waiting impatiently for him to come back, my leg bouncing up and down on the step frantically as I fiddled with the single piece of string dangling from my jumper. Thats when I heard the door creak open, I peered over the floor making sure that it wasn't anyone unexpected and fortunately it was Draco, I sighed somewhat relived that he had in fact came back. I looked up at him scanning his face trying to decipher if it went well or not but he made that very difficult, he was never an easy person to read and never will be, but it didn't stop me from trying.

"We need to leave, now." He said urgently, wasting no time as he grabbed my arm and pulled me up heading towards the door, "Where are we?" but he cut me off before I was able to say anything pulling me in close and shoving my head down.

"Keep your head down and follow the crowd." He whispered as we joined a huge pack of people all huddled around the manor, I quickly bowed my head doing exactly what he said knowing that if I didn't it was looking bad for the both of us. He pushed me to the very back making sure we were almost impossible to spot, I glanced around to see masses of people all looking as if they've been waiting for this moment for their entire lives. All of them being purebloods, bar from one, The Dark Lord himself.

"Ah, how extraordinary it is to see all of you here on this fine night, A night I expect you've all been preparing for." Cheers erupted from around us at the words of Voldemort who stood before us all, his voice echoed for miles making me sick to my stomach knowing I was surrounded by his followers. I never involved myself in a side as I wasn't exactly sure what that even meant, I was just taught to stay away from the man everyone feared the most. Yet here I was standing before him.

"We have heard news that the famous Harry Potter has finally came out of hiding, we shall head there tonight and declare war. Lets just say 'The Boy Who Lived' will no longer be what he is known as." Again, the crowd cheered, this time louder and more aggressive, he was getting them all riled up to finally go through with what he has promised them all. They referred to it as a 'cleansing', wanting to rid of everyone who wasn't a pureblood, someone like me. I bowed my head ashamed that there were so many people who thought the same, thats when I looked up at Draco and memories flooded back of how it all started making me question if he was one of them.

The minute my eyes met his I knew he realised the harsh reality of what he was taught, going far beyond declaring superiority, it was going to cause harm to a huge amount of innocent people for something that they are unable to change. My eyes watered as I looked up at him, the extent of Voldemort's plans starting to affect me, but there he stood staring back at me, the person he once looked down upon due to something as meaningless as blood heritage. Yet he didnt say anything, instead he looked away, a sharp static of guilt sparking through his eyes as he tried to come across as unfazed. I bowed my head in disappointment not wanting to believe what I was hearing, blocking out every word as my grip loosed letting go of Dracos hand in disbelief that he refused to accept that I was one of them.

After what felt like forever everyone began to disappear one by one, I looked around to see that it was time, the moment I've been trying to avoid ever since I was aware of it. My heart began to race, as the once crowded courtyard became sparse making it more likely we'd get caught, I turned around to find Draco still behind me, his eyes darting the surrounding area. He panicked his face overwhelmed with uncertainty; he was just as unprepared as I was even though he'd never admit it. All this time he'd act as if he always had a plan; strategic and would often flaunt it but this was the one thing that no one could prepare for, not even him.

I glanced up to see someone a far distance away standing on the porch pointing directly at us, I squinted unsure to who exactly it was but as I tried to get a closer look, I still didn't recognise them yet by the looks of it they were familiar with us. Without thinking I grabbed Dracos hand tight shutting my eyes and blocking out the noise around us, I heard Draco mutter something under his breath catching onto the people who spotted us but by the time he spoke we had already gone.

I hesitantly opened one eye not entirely sure on where I took us both but as I did, I was met with a small enclosure of trees, right in the centre being the black lake. "The forbidden forest, thats the first place you thought of?" Draco scoffed as he scanned the place but his scowl slowly faded as he also began to recognise where exactly we were. It was the same place I saw him retrieve the dove from the tree in front of us, the same place he saved me from falling in the lake, the same place I realised that what I thought to be resentment was actually that of desire.