Chapter Twenty-Five

It was the morning of the ball and I could see how giddy everyone was in their lessons, but I wasn't so excited. I was actually dreading it more than I have done the past years, everyone knew I was going with Theo he didn't really hide that at all. The thought not just seeing him but having to spend the entire night with him made me sick to my stomach.

I still didn't really have any idea of what dress I was going to wear, Madalina said she had one that was going to be her other option if the one she ordered wasn't made in time which thankfully it was. I guess she never really got around to actually describing how it looked so I just hoped I looked somewhat presentable.

Class was dismissed and I approached the lunch hall, I sat alone while I ate trying to take my mind off tonight's events. I prompted my head up as I heard a few people sit down near me, there sat Crabbe, Goyle, Blaise and a few others but I didn't see Draco anywhere. I brushed it off and presumed he was in the room of requirement, I had to prevent myself from going up to check since last time that happened, I came out bruised.

Instead I decided to go to the library to do some more research on the vanishing cabinet. I eventually found a book similar to the one I saw Draco holding in Diagon Alley, I sat myself down near the back of the library and began to read.

I must have been there a while as when I looked up the sun was setting, I took the book with me planning to read it while at the Yule Ball thinking it would give me some kind of entertainment. I discovered what it was used for but that still gave me no indication on why Draco would need it.

As I walked down the halls to get to my dorm, I saw the girls eager to get ready for the ball, the boys weren't as thrilled but non the less they were more excited than I was. I made my way through a group of girls itching to do each others hair and makeup and eventually reached my dorm.

As I sat on my bed procrastinating getting ready, I saw Madalina walking towards me with what looked like a forest green satin cloth draped over her arm. She had on a long black laced dress with a plunging V-neck, as she came closer, I could make out intricate roses dotted in the lace of the skirt. She looked beautiful and I felt ashamed that she had to walk down with me.

"Your dress my dear" She bowed before me while handing me my dress, I laughed and pushed her telling her sit on the bed next to me.

"You look absolutely gorgeous, there's no way you'd want to be seen dead with me when you look like that" She playfully punched my arm and scolded me for what I just said.

"You're going to look amazing Dwinny, now go put on the dress" I looked down and sighed, she pushed me forward towards the bathroom and gave me a reassuring look.

I stood for a moment to take a look at the dress while propping it up on me to take a look of it in the mirror, it wasn't something Id ever pick out or even dare to put on but I had faith in Madalina so I began to get ready.

I slipped out of my school clothes and stepped into the silky dress pulling it up and adjusting it to fit my shape. It was tight and form fitting, so I turned to look back into the mirror to get a good look at it. It fell just below my ankles still just about showing my bare feet, a long slit came up to my mid-thigh and it cinched in around my waist. I turned around to see that my whole back was showing, the only thing being two straps holding up the top part of the dress. Access material draped over my chest falling perfectly, not showing to much yet still giving me shape.

As I spun in the mirror I watched as I was mesmerised by the enchanting deep green material flowing alongside me. It was the first time I felt pretty. Though I quickly felt myself getting increasingly more self-conscious as I knew there was no way I could pull something like this off.

I heard a knock at the door and Madalina telling me to come out soon after, I approached the door very hesitant to open it but as I unlocked it, I watched as it quickly was pushed open. There I stood and watched as I saw her face drop with shock, I asked her if I looked okay in which I didn't get an answer.

"Oh my- you, you look absolutely amazing" She ran up to me taking my hand while looking me up and down completely in awe, she told me to give her a spin, which I did.

"I don't know if I can pull this off, I don't think-"

"You're joking, you look incredible. Honestly, I feel like the luckiest person alive having to walk down the ball with someone as beautiful as you." She said as she cut me off mid-sentence while grabbing my shoulders and turning me to face the mirror.

I smiled and thanked her as she dragged me into the dorm and sat me down pulling out her makeup bag, I told her that I don't really want much since I've never really had the confidence to put anything on. She promised me she wouldn't, and I sat and watched her as she concentrated on my face.

It mustn't have taken long as next minute she shoved a golden hand- held mirror in my face and told me to look, I had on dainty winged black liner and faint rosy blush to enhance my cheeks. What really stood out was the deep red lipstick making my lips seem bigger and plumper. She told me she was jealous of my lips and had to make them stand out since they went so unnoticed.

I watched as she began to do hers and realised that I still haven't attempted anything with my hair, I knew I wasn't able to do much but I managed to pull it back into a loose low messy bun pulling out some strands in the front to form my face. Madalina then walked up behind me and clipped something to back of the bun, I grabbed the mirror to see what it was in which a saw a small dainty silver snake latched to the top of the bun.

"Right, are we ready then?" She asked as I took one last look in the mirror, I nodded but just as we were to walk out, I ran back in forgetting my shoes. She laughed as I slipped into some simple black heels that wrapped around my ankle.

I followed her down as we made our way into the hall, we were obviously last there since I saw no one else in the hallway. I felt my stomach curdle as we got closer to the ball, I only grew more nervous. Madalina gripped my hand tight as she made her way around the corner, but I swiftly let go and watched as she gracefully walked down the stairs being greeted at the bottom by Blaise.

I took a few deep breaths before turning the corner and I stood at the top looking down at everyone there, catching my eyes on Draco who was facing towards the window. He had on a simple black tux with a frilled white shirt underneath, his hair being more tamed than usual and a few more rings to add to the ones he already had on.

I felt drawn towards him but quickly snapped out of it and began to make my way down the stairs, my heels echoed on the marble stairs causing everyone to shift their head in my direction. I looked down scared of being judged yet heard no mumbles, instead everyone looked shocked. I had all eyes on me but for once not in a bad way.