Chapter Ninety-Two

Time slipped away so fast that when I opened my eyes it was as if I was standing on the sun being blinded by the orange smoke that filled the room, I squinted patting my forehead to try and wipe away the sweat though as I took my hand away I felt it slowly mound up again, my hand dripping. The heat was intolerable making my gaze hazy, I squinted and peered over the edge seeing that the flames managed to catch up to the last remaining tower, the one we were standing on.

A huge puff of smoke rose engulfing my face making me gasp for air, yet I tried my best not to move knowing that one step may very well be the last. My head got heavier weighing down as the smoke began to fill up my lungs giving less oxygen to my brain making even more drowsy, but I knew if I gave in, I'd not only be killing myself but two others.

I fought off the weakness as much as I could taking everything in me to look up at Draco, his eyes being fixed upon the flames that danced provocatively in front of him reflecting from the water that shielded his pupils. His pale skin now covered with patches of soot and ash, the small cuts showing through slightly, his lips were chapped and expressionless as he looked to be speechless, one word and he'll just be inhaling a puff of smoke. The build up of fear deteriorated into nothing leaving him to accept that the chances of coming out of this room alive was near impossible, coming to terms with something so dreadful so quickly often makes you react abruptly though for Draco he was numb.

Thats when through all of the simmering and burning I heard a slight crack, my heart stopped and I stared straight ahead knowing exactly what was about to happen, the leg of the table collapsed not able to handle both the heat and our weight at the same time. I felt my back leg slip as the tabletop gave in pushing us all backwards, I don't know how but I managed to leap forward before I slid down the surface kneeling over the top of the table grasping onto it for dear life.

"Draco!" I gasped as I looked to my left seeing both his hands clutching the wood, I glanced over to see both Draco and Blaise hanging off the table, their eyes as wide as they could go, they looked as if they were going to die of fright before the fire managed to get to them. I panicked and clasped both of their hands holding them firmly to the table as my last attempt to keep them alive, but I was never strong enough to hold up one person let alone two. I had no concept of time, all I know was that the moments leading up to what I knew was bound to happen felt agonising.

"Fuck Ceradwin, I can't hold on any longer." He panted using his last few breaths, I refused to believe it, but the words cut straight through me like the sharpest of daggers, I couldn't bare the thought of losing him. I tensed straining myself as my nails dug into their hands gripping them as tight as I could, my eyes began to water from the amount of smoke that was in the air and the realisation that this is going to be the last moment I have with him.

Thats when I felt his grip loosen, one of his hand dropped the other one slowly leading the same route, I leaned forward stretching my hand out as far as I could, watching as his other hand let go. My heart skipped about eight beats as I saw him jolt down manging to catch his hand, I held onto it with all the force I had in me. His entire weight was being held by my small clammy hand my other still latching on tightly to Blaise who now only had one of his hands weakly clutching the table as the other dangled helplessly.

I had the lives of two people in my hands and by the looks of it neither would make it out alive. A single tear fell desperately onto his pale hand that was holding onto mine with every last bit of hope he had left in him, I pleaded not only to him but to myself to hold on just a little longer wanting to take him in as much as I could before he was gone. His hand was gradually slipping as we both grew weaker, my throat tightened and I whimpered knowing that this was the last few seconds before he finally gave in.

"No!" I cried my voice straining itself with the last bit of energy I had left, I don't know what was more agonising; the pain coming from my throat or watching Draco as he plummeted down towards the flames that were greedy for another feast. His body was limp as he stared up at me preparing himself to meet with them but just as the flame reached up to take a bite, he disappeared. Confused I took a double take scanning around for any sign of him, it was only when a gush of air flowed through my hair taking Blaise with it, I finally caught on.

I fumbled around to look up now face to face with the flames, I squinted my eyes darting around the room until a blurry figure finally came into focus. I heaved myself up on the last remaining surface that barely stood balancing myself as I saw it near me coming at an alarming speed. Before I knew it, someone grabbed a hold of my arm pulling me up and tossing me on the back of a broom, I clung on for dear life taking one last look at the wildfire that was tailing us.

I was soon distracted by the sharp blue light that parted the flames, it was then I noticed the scarring on the persons arm, it was Hermione. A sudden wave of gratitude and disbelief was the first cool sensation I felt through my body contrasting from the burning heat, the realisation that they came back for us after everything that had happened made me think of how much determination they had to save as many lives as they could even if they aren't worth risking for. I clung onto her tighter as she flew through the blaze now able to see both Blaise and Draco on the brooms ahead of me nearing the door.

One last breath of fire blew us all out, the brooms shot towards the ground making us plunge quickly to floor shutting my eyes tightly as I prepared for the embrace. We both toppled off the broom and fell hitting the floor with force, we tumbled on the pieces of rock adding to the many gashes already scattered on our skin. Though I didn't care how much it hurt as I never thought I'd feel the ground again, I frantically felt the rubble around me and was relived.

I scrambled to my feet and scanned the floor for Draco, but he wasn't there, I began to panic feeling my legs tremble and my hands begin to shake frantically. My mind immediately thought of the worst, what if he never made it out? I looked down to see Hermione laying on her back her breathing steady taking a minute as she stared blankly up at the ceiling. I rushed over and glanced down as her eyes met mine, I held out my hand and she took it pulling her up as she brushed herself down.

"Draco?" Did he-"Before she was able to answer I felt someone grab my wrist quickly pulling me away from her, as I turned to see who it was I could finally breath again.

"We're not staying here any longer." Dracos voice quivered clearly shaken up from what had just happened, only this time I was more than ready to follow him. I pulled away from his grip making him spin around his face now twisted with rage thinking I was once again refusing his instructions but instead of saying anything I looked down and reached out my hand, confused he stood for a moment watching as I took his and held onto it tight not wanting to ever let go.

His touch warmed up my entire body as I thought I'd never get to feel it again, I felt his hand wrap around mine firmly his cold ring pressing into my finger sending an array of butterflies in my stomach. He gave me one last look before we took off sprinting through the halls that were now ruins, bits and pieces of rocks were getting hurled at us from every direction, I raised my free arm covering my face protecting it from the rubble. Though as we sped down a flight of stairs Draco came to a halt and I felt all the happiness that I had built up inside of me be sucked away.