Episode 4 - First Meeting

《Aah!》

The nurse's frightened scream accompanied the deafening sound of the test tubes upon contact with the polished floor of the corridor. Because of this, that white was soiled by the red stain of the blood they contained.
You turned to her, who was standing to observe the misdeed; at that moment, Mrs. Branagan appeared on the scene.

《Oh my, look what you did...get out, please, I'll take care of this.》  The younger one left and the other, aided by Miss Hawkins, picked up the shards of glass on the floor and cleaned up.

The mixed smell made you guess that blood belonged to different people, probably used to carry out transfusions on patients. Now, seeing those rags, now stained with blood, thrown into a basket made you sick to your stomach.

《I have to hold on...I can't afford to go crazy for so little and in front of these people especially.》

As you walked, you suddenly felt something under your feet and noticed some glittering fragments, slipped up there. They had to be picked up, to prevent some barefoot patients from mistakenly walking on them; you were crouching down to do so, until Doctor Ackroyd stopped you.

《What are you doing? Are you going to cut yourself?》  With a pair of gloves, he leaned too and quickly picked them up.

《B-but you were taking care of that man in bed, don't waste time here...》  You replied, worried that he could be hurt.

《Would I ever let you hurt yourself so recklessly and in front of my eyes? I'm not a fool and you're not a nurse, Miss Wright, so I'll take care of it.》

He wasn't angry, but his tone sounded harsher than usual and that upset you.  《...I'm sorry, I didn't mean to put you in a bad mood.》

Ackroyd looked you in the eye for a moment.

《It's not your fault. Every night it gets more and more exhausting and as long as you're here you will understand it too.》

You did the same to him.
《You look tired, Dr. Ackroyd, I can see it from your face. You should take a break and rest.》

When you said that, the young doctor looked away from you and rose from the ground having finished cleaning. However, he couldn't help but notice that your voice spoke sincerely in thought for him.

《I'm used to little sleep, so don't worry about it. On the contrary, you shouldn't stay up all night...I noticed that your complexion is paler than usual, you should try to stay a little longer in the fresh air, especially during the day...》

Of course, you couldn't even put your foot out once the sun came out, so you were forced to ignore that advice by smiling.

《I really appreciate your thinking, Dr. Ackroyd. I'll try to follow it carefully next time...》

He seemed to be trying to push you away, but the truth was he was trying to hide his curiosity about you.
Your personality wasn't a common thing, especially among the London ladies...they would never do that kind of work, get their hands dirty or bend over the ground like you were doing.

《You show more maturity than you have, Miss Wright, and that's not common, believe me. When you get married, I'm sure he won't be disappointed in you.》

Hearing him talk about that was something unexpected, then you realized he wasn't married either...he wore no ring on his finger.
As he was, he would surely have replied that he wouldn't have time to think about this, nor that it was the right time to meet a woman; you wanted to talk to him more, but it probably wouldn't have been that easy, not after what you became.