Episode 9 - When Your Heart Lies

As you suddenly found yourself lying down, you slowly opened your eyes.

The warmth of the blankets above you made you yawn and stretch before stepping off your bed, your beloved bed.
From the outside, the sun's rays illuminated your spacious bedroom...you let the light touch your face and eyes without being bothered by it.

There was no doubt. The sun was caressing your skin without hurting it. Without delay, you reached out a hand to the large window.

《So wonderful...》

It was as if you had woken up after a long sleep...around you, everything was as it had always been.
You put on your precious white silk robe and opened the door.
You could feel the wood of the floor under your bare feet and smiled as you quickly descended the wide staircase of the hall.

Like every morning, your father was there, in the dining room, reading the paper while he waited for breakfast to be served.
When he heard your light footsteps, he looked up and found you by the entrance.

《Y/n, why did you get off so fast? And on top of that, without your slippers!》Your father smiled because of that.

《Sorry, is that...》  You were trembling with emotion《...is that I'm so happy to see you again, dad!》

You couldn't resist the desire and ran towards him to hug him. Your father seemed surprised at your sudden reaction, but he returned the gesture by hugging you tightly.

《Forgive me for what I told you last night...I can't and I don't want to argue with you anymore...!》  He stroked your head when heard you sobbing.

《I'm glad you came home, my darling...》  You didn't stop crying and so he gently patted your back.

That moment was so intense that it was impossible to believe you were in a dream...inside, you no longer needed blood or to protect yourself from daylight...finally, your worst nightmare was over for real...

But suddenly, you heard him pant heavily; of course, he was probably getting tired in that standing position, until his grip on you became unexpectedly strong.

《W-what are you doing, dad...y-you hurt me in this way...》

He didn't detach from you and you didn't want to push him away so as not to hurt him.

Only later you heard him say those words that petrified you.

《I. Want. Your. Blood.》

He said in a slow, unrecognizable voice, probably wasn't even his. You closed your eyes before he could bite you, screaming in fear and wriggling against him, until an intense white light blinded your vision...you snapped them open, this time, and the walls of Pembroke Hospital came back to present themselves in the usual way around you.

You couldn't move a muscle in your body, except your head.
Your gaze fell on the bed where you were lying...of course, everything you had seen earlier it was just your imagination.
A long, transparent tube connected your arm with a sack positioned on the side, filled with blood.

Those drops that regularly came into your veins weren't enough; your throat was burning and you wanted to drink all of that in one go, but you hadn't the strength to get up.

At that moment, Jonathan Reid walked into your room.

《I understand that you are very thirsty now, but trust me, this is the best way to control it and to recover without relapse...anyway, how do you feel now, Miss Wright?》

The doctor checked both you and the blood left inside the sack, in case it needed to be replaced.

《W-what happened...》  You said in a thin voice.