Episode 10 - One Step Away From You

The hunter's last words had aroused concern in you. From what you understood, their captain had suddenly disappeared and no one had noticed it.

You stood there observing their intentions; some of them got into one of their vans stationed in front of the hospital to drive into the surrounding slums of London, while others prepared their weapons, in case the leader of the Priwen Guard was in danger. Well, it wasn't an impossible alternative, but you doubted a man like him was in serious trouble.

Just then, a strong wind picked up...an intense smell accompanied it up to your nose.

《This...is blood.》  You whispered to yourself.

You looked into the darkness in front of you. That was where the smell came from.
You weren't sure it belonged to McCullum and that alerted you more. To know more, you needed to follow that scent.

《...Miss Wright.》  A voice made you turn behind you《Where are you going all of a sudden?》

With his arms folded behind his back, Jonathan stared at you with his pale blue eyes.

You decided not to hide what you heard.
《You feel this smell too, Doctor Reid? I'm afraid it's Captain McCullum's. He's gone and no one knows where he is right now...》

But the vampire doctor didn't seem worried at all.
《So, what does this have to do with you...》And he added《Vampires are the last thing he's afraid of, Miss Wright, there's no need for you to worry about him that much.》

Until that moment, Jonathan had always been kind and trustworthy, but now you got the feeling he was someone else. It was clear that between him and Geoffrey there was no sympathy for each other, but you were still shocked by the doctor's coldness and you regretted telling him.

《I know, but...what if he need help?》

After he heard that, Jonathan slowly approached you and put his arm around your shoulders forcing you to walk towards the hospital entrance.

《W-wait, what are you doing now...?》  His fingers pressed into your shoulder in a nonhuman way making you blink in sudden pain.

《You are still tired, Miss Wright, you should go and rest.》

His aura was so frightening that it didn't make you react in any way except by obeying his words. You were about to take the first step of the stairs, until a familiar voice woke you from that strange hypnosis.

《Doctor Reid, Mrs. Branagan is asking for you immediately–》  Luckily, it was Doctor Ackroyd  《...what's going on here?》

The young doctor noticed Jonathan's hand gripping your shoulder and your discomfort from that.

《I see, tell her I will join her as soon as I take Miss Wright to her room.》  He answered, but the other didn't seem to believe him.

《I'm fine, doctor, I don't need any rest. On the contrary, you should look after those need you most right now.》  You answered firmly; you absolutely had to get rid of Jonathan.

You exchanged long glances with the vampire ignoring what was around you. It was the first time you looked at him in that hostile way.
Fortunately, Jonathan did nothing to disturb the peace of that place and showed a slight smile.

《Very well then. Please lead me on, Doctor Ackroyd.》  He gave you one last, lightning glance before letting you go.

* * *

Nobody, not even the hunters of the Guard, had noticed your sudden escape. You crossed the bridge to reach the Whitechapel Street following the trail of scent. You lurked on the roof of a house when you heard some growls, probably belonging to the Skal vampires.