Episode 11 - Forbidden

You couldn't sleep that day. Sitting on your little bed and free from your tight clothes, you were getting ready for sleep, hoping the next night would be different, once you reopen your never tired eyes.

But something was preventing you from doing it...why couldn't you stop thinking about McCullum?

You grabbed the pillow and threw it away.

《No...there is no way I–》

The pillow hit the black blanket stuck on the window causing it to slide. Your eyes, as well as your skin, was hit by the external light.
Unknowingly, you headed for that. Luckily, it wasn't very intense and the sting it caused would soon heal...now, your attention was focused on the world outside you, so different and hostile from how you knew it.

Nobody was safe anymore. You didn't realize there could be so many vampires in London and they were probably spread across the rest of Europe, if not all over the world.

Soon, a new and dangerous race would turned against the human one...how many lives would have been wasted and how many people would have become vampire hunters, sacrificing themselves to protect humanity?

It wasn't easy to answer this question...not all vampires hated humans, like you and Doctor Reid, and not all humans hated vampires, like Doctor Swansea...anyway, you wondered what Geoffrey McCullum really thought of you, whether he saw you as a threat or not.

He could have killed you at any moment, with his weapon pointed at you screaming all his contempt for those demons like you; but his last gesture made you like you were...loved ? No, you couldn't allow yourself certain childhood fantasies.

You put the blanket back in its place, letting the room be lit only by the light bulbs. But before that, you took a last look at the city, the same one that, in a few hours, would be overrun by bloodsucking monsters.

* * *

When it was time to go out, you put on this dress.

It was your mother's last gift to you and before wore it you checked it meticulously to make sure it wasn't ruined during the move

It was your mother's last gift to you and before wore it you checked it meticulously to make sure it wasn't ruined during the move. It was absolutely important to you.
Finally, you arranged your hair so that a few tufts were behind your neck letting the rest of them fall on your back.

As you went down the stairs, you heard wheels turning hastily and saw some nurses were rushing a patient to the operating room. You didn't understand why he moved in that way, as if he had a sudden shock.

You asked one of them.
《W-what happens to that poor man?》

The only one who turned to you was Nurse Hawkins.

《...it's Spanish influence, most likely, but Dr. Reid will visit him soon for further checking.》  She looked down on you before asking a question.  《Anyway, it's evident that you're not a nurse but you seem very attached to the doctor...are you his fiancée?》