Neighbors

Weeks had passed, and Kei still didn't know who his neighbors were. It's not like he was avoiding to meet them, he just never had time. Kei sighed, passing by his neigbor's house as he stared at it before going inside his own.

"Mom I'm home." He lazily greeted, taking off his shoes and putting them neatly on the shoerack. He then made his way to his room and prepared his change of clothes since he planned on taking a shower. As he set his clothes on his bed, he noticed a cup on his bed, clearly thrown by whoever the owner was. Kei grumbled.

"My room's not a trash can you know... And how did it even get here?" He mumbled, he approached the cup, now noticing the string attatched to it.

"Wha?" He said, his brows furrowed, he then saw a note on it. It read:

"Hey there! I'm your new neighbor :) Although I'm super sure that you don't want to meet me personally or something based on your personality. But if you don't mind, we can talk through this whenever you feel like it! Just tug at it twice and I'll tug once if I'm available :)."

Kei stared at it, confusion evident on his face. 'Based on my personality? Do they know me?' He thought, setting the cup down by the window pane to take a shower.

— t i m e s k i p —

Kei already finished showering and had dinner so he was now in his room, listening to music and doing his homework. Once he was done he stretched his arms, taking his headphones off and sat on his bed. He peered out the window, eyes slowly drifting to where the cup is. He never really intended to follow his neighbor's silly antics but his curiousity got the best of him. He took the cup, tugging at its string twice and waiting for his neighbor's signal. Once he felt a tug, he quickly put his mouth on the cup.

"Hello?" He hesistantly greeted, slowly putting the cup on his ear, giving it a bit of a distance in case his neighbor is a noisy little shit. After a brief moment of silence, Kei was about to put the cup down when his neighbor spoke.

"Hello Tsukishima-kun." The neighbor said softly and quietly, making Kei speechless. It was the most beautiful voice he had heard. It was both soothing and mesmerizing. He had to admit, he could listen to that all day. Due to Kei's silence, the neighbor spoke once more.

"Tsukishima-kun?" The neighbor said, more softly, his voice hinted with concern. Kei snapped back to reality and answered back.

"S-sorry I was just uh, deep in thought." He facepalmed, thinking why he just stuttered, he could then hear a giggle from the cup.

"What's so funny?" He asked, a bit embarassed.

"I'm sorry, it's just really rare for you to stutter." The neighbor replied, making Kei raise an eyebrow, knowing that the neighbor wouldn't see it.

"You talk like you know me..." He said, his eyebrow still raised. He heard another giggle.

"It's because I do know you." His neighbor replied, itriguing Kei.

"So uh, do I know you?" He asked, now thinking it was a dumb question. Another giggle was heard. 'This guy likes to giggle' he thought, he wasn't complaining tho, it was music to his ears.

"Yeah. Yeah you do." His neighbor answered, Kei could feel his heart race in excitement. 'Who could it be?' He asked himself, as he was about to put the cup on his mouth to speak, his neighbor beat him to it.

"You know me but I won't tell you who I am, you have to figure that out yourself." His neighbor said, giggling again which made Kei furrow his brows.

"Why don't you just tell me?" He asked, his voice sounding irritated.

"There's no fun in that! Come on it'll be easy!" His neighbor replied. Kei sighed.

"Fine." He said, he was bored anyways so this was a challenge for him.

"Great! Well then goodnight." The neighbor said.

"Wait what? But what about clues—" Kei was cutt off by the neighbor once more.

"No clues for you!" This was the last thing his neighbor said, Kei staring at the cup in frustration.

"Ugh whatever, I'm going to sleep." Kei muttered, as he laid down the bed and drifted off to sleep.

— t i m e s k i p —

A few days passed with Kei and his neighbor talking every night. Kei tried his best to get clues out of his neighbor but his neighbor didn't budge so he decided to try again the next day.

In class, the first years were having a recitation where they were going to read a part of a story each, the teacher being the one to choose whoever was going to recite. Kei stared at his booklet boredly, but still making sure that he was paying attention in class. His eyes then wandered to Tobio who was a few seats near him, sleeping. Kei rolled his eyes, and looked at the person behind Tobio. It was Tadashi trying his best to wake up Tobio without getting the teachers attention. Kei sighed, now shifting his attention to Hitoka who was writing down notes and important details of the story. He then wandered his eyes to look for the last first year in the volleyball club. He glanced at the back, making sure the teacher won't notice him, he saw quite the mesmerizing scene. Shoyo had his hand on his chin, staring out the window, as the curtains flew freely, Shoyo's hair swaying a bit. Kei couldn't take his eyes off of him. He snapped back to reality when he heard the teacher call out Shoyo's name.

"Hinata-kun! Since you look like you're not paying attention, mind reading the next paragraph?" Shoyo looked at his teacher, then looked at his booklet lazily, he stood up, leaning forward to hear his classmate's murmurs to know which page they were on and which part they were reading. He then cleared his throat, and read the paragraph out loud.

"Mariko walked off, sword in hand..." He said softly, everyone turned their hands to look at him. It was their first time to hear Shoyo's voice that wasn'y loud or anything like that. It was soothing, lowkey like ASMR. Shoyo continued reading, as Kei could feel the pace of his heartbeat quicken (is this even a word 😭). Shoyo had the exact same voice as his neighbor, he couldn't mistake that sweet voice for anything. Though it was kind of unbelievable, he had to check it out.

Practice ended, the first years now heading home, walking together. They then reached the intersection, Tobio going first, heading to the left, Hitoka following since she was headed to the same direction. Tadashi waved his hand goodbye to the remaining first years, going to the right. As Shoyo was about to follow Tadashi, Kei stopped him.

"Hinata." He said, with his deep, monotone voice. This sent shivers down Shoyo's spine. The smaller male slowly looked towards the blonde, feeling sweat form on his forehead.

"How may I help you Tsukishima?" He said, as calm as he could. His hands were shaking, gripping the handles of his bike. Kei slowly approached him causing Shoyo to back away each step Kei took, the bike now on the concrete. Soon Shoyo's back hit the wall, giving Kei the perfect opportunity to pin him against it.
Shoyo looked down, not daring to look at the taller male's face.

"Hinata..." Kei called out to him once again, his voice a bit softer than last time. He wanted this to be over with so he had to be straightforward.

"I'll just get to the point, are you my neighbor?"

"..." Shoyo remained silent, which frustrated Kei. Suddenly, the smaller male giggled, looking up at Kei.

"Took you long enough to figure that out." He said in his usual soft tone which Kei loved so much.

"Why didn't you just tell me?" Kei whined, he already felt comfortable with his neighbor, despite it being Shoyo.

"Like I said, there no fun in that :)" Shoyo replied, making Kei pout. Shoyo giggled once more before escaping from Kei's kabedon and picking up his bike.

"Since you figured it out, want to grab ice cream?" Shoyo said, smiling at Kei. The blonde smiled back.

"Sure." And they went home together in the same direction, and probably will tomorrow too.

— e n d —