two.

a/n: wow so much support on this sequel already <3 i kind of struggled to find the motivation to write this chapter, so it's a tad bit shorter than the previous, but i literally am publishing this as last minute as I can KEKW, i'm about to go run some errands and i wanted to make sure i put this chapter out to everyone who's been anticipating it. as always, please vote and comment! much love, chaos <3

---

word total for this chapter: 1909 (yes i'm sorry it's shorter than before)

---

With that, we settle in for the night, using the blankets in their true form, as the ocean breeze is slightly colder than what it was on the mainland. I slide down in the boat, laying my head against the hard surface. After a moment of thought, I move my pack to support my head a little better, giving me a bit of cushion from the rough wood.

Dream slides down next to me, our shoulders pressing together. Before he lays down, however, he starts to unzip the large pocket of his bag, and I sit up slightly, trying to get a better look at what he's getting. I watch as he slides out the teddy from his little sister, and my heart softens for him once more.

He meets my eyes, and I notice his cheeks glow a light pink, even in the fading light of the evening. A sheepish grin covers his face slightly, and he pulls the sentiment closer to his body, almost as if he's protecting it.

"She... she always loved the ocean." His voice is rough and strained, and I bite the inside of my lip, my own emotions threatening to spill from my eyes. He's been through so much, and I only know of the things he's chosen to tell me about.

I nod simply, not wanting to press the subject too far. Dream closes the pocket and slides the pack next to mine, laying down next to me so close that our shoulders press together. Not that there's much more room in this boat; it is fairly small.

Laying my head back down onto my own bag, I turn slightly to look at Dream, and he does the same, our eyes meeting. My mind and heart begin to race, and I almost blurt out a stupid question, most likely ruining the night. Biting my tongue, I decide that it's a matter for another time, and I give Dream a half smile.

He smiles softly, and moves his arm to where it's behind my head, and I take the cue to snuggle into him. My head rests slightly on his chest, and I wrap my arm around his torso, pulling our bodies impossibly close.

I wonder why this has never felt awkward. We haven't even known each other long, yet this feels like the most natural and normal thing. My mind wanders, and I feel Dream's other hand rest on top of my forearm that's across his stomach, and I swear, goosebumps raise on my skin when he lightly runs his fingertips up and down my arm.

Nuzzling further into Dream's chest, I turn more so onto my side, positioning my right arm to where it's half supporting my own head and half wrapped around his arm that's behind my head. I feel him rest his head next to mine, the soft breath making my hair fluff gently.

A smile creeps onto my face, and I sigh contentedly. My mind starts to feel foggy, and I fall asleep, listening to Dream's heartbeat and his gentle breaths, the boat rocking softly, lulling the two of us to sleep.

When I wake, Dream is still asleep, but I notice that we've moved in our sleep; we're facing the same direction, and my back is pressed snugly into the front of his body, virtually no space between us. My face heats at the realization, and I contemplate moving, but I'm fairly comfortable, so I decide to just wait for Dream to wake up. Besides, the sun isn't even fully up yet, and we've got plenty of time now, not having to worry about outrunning the fires.

My heartstrings pull as the realization dawns upon me; what's going to be left of the world after the fires have eaten away all of the environment?