eight.

a/n: apologies again for having such a long break between chapters! here's this, i think you guys are gonna really love this one :) i don't think it's terribly exciting, but it helps to set up a lot for the future, so that's poggers :D how's everyone's day been? mine's been amazing, we got so much punz content, between the pink merch selfies and the pummel/league stream, as well as the sam face reveal stream, it's been a busy day.

also, turned to ice is now officially longer than into fire in word count! it is technically still four chapters shorter, but these chapters are much longer.

anyways, enjoy the chapter, and make sure you vote and comment! -chaos

---

word total for this chapter: 2435

---

I fall asleep in Dream's arms, my ear against his chest, listening to the steady beat of his heart. The waves continue to rock us gently, and I'm grateful that we have not seen any more signs of bad weather. I'm not sure the boat, or even the two of us, could handle another storm, especially as bad or worse than the last.

As I fall deeper into a relaxed state, I listen to Dream's rhythmic breaths, and subconsciously, I feel my own sync with his. Within minutes, I feel a heavy sleep come over me, and I'm lulled asleep by his embrace. As much as I enjoy dreaming, my eyes open within what feels like seconds after I've fallen unconscious. Sighing deeply, I work my way out of Dream's embrace, and he stirs next to me. Shit. I didn't mean to wake him.

He rolls slightly onto his back, throwing one of his arms over the top of his forehead, squeezing his eyes shut against the start of dawn. I smile at the small action, my heart feeling light when I look at him.

"Did I mention how much I hate mornings?" His voice is soft against the early morning air, nearly getting lost in the ocean breeze. Resisting the urge to roll my eyes at his dramatic nature, I press my tongue to the inside of my teeth.

"No, I don't think you have." I respond simply, stretching out my arms above my head. When I bring my hands down again, I turn slightly, resting one of my arms over the side of the boat, my fingers just barely skimming the chilly salt water. We barely move, Dream having made sure of that last night.

The waves simply push us along slowly, and the water is fairly peaceful, not a sign of anything worrying. Huffing, Dream sits up, and then goes to his controls, setting the sail in such a way that we are traveling in what we both feel is the correct direction. I'm not sure how we know it's right, but the two of us feel it deeply in our souls that we are going the right way, so why not trust it?

My fingers glide through the water now as we slowly pick up speed, the ocean's wind pushing desperately into the cloth of the sail. Watching intently, I wiggle my fingers up and down slowly, and watch as the water breaks all around them when they come to the surface.

I've always enjoyed the ocean, but this is different. Over the past few days, I've been able to see the side of the abyss that I hadn't experienced before, and I'm grateful that Dream and I made it out, somehow, and in one piece.

My eyes sting slightly as the sun rises, causing a bright reflection off of the water. I turn away as the day begins, the light finally becoming too much for my eyes. I turn my head, pulling my hand out of the water and wiping it on my shirt. It had been tossed aside before, because it was too hot in the blinding heat of the sun, but I put it back on some time last night, the bite of the darkness getting to me.

Dream catches my eye as I can feel his gaze on me, and when our eyes meet, he smiles, although not saying anything. A faint blush threatens to come over my cheeks, but I try to shove it down, going over to him and pressing my lips to his cheek hastily. His hand catches my wrist just as I'm about to escape, the flutter in my stomach overwhelming me.