Chapter Thirty: It's Over

It didn't take long after that for the rest of the cast to start trickling in and Cort never came back out of the dressing room although I did keep an eye on the door for a while. Aside from his temper tantrum though, I had to admit that things were going well. I'd never really been this happy before. I hated to admit it, but I finally understood why girls were so desperate to have a boyfriend. I mean, I'd always been fine without one, but also... it felt nice to have someone's arms wrapped around me so casually, as if they didn't even notice he was doing it, but he still needed me there. It made me feel like the protagonist from all the YA novels and cheesy romcoms and I've never really been the main character before. So, it was nice. I spent almost the entire show hanging out with Max and the rest of the friend group. Harper had pretty much recoiled into herself that the only thing she really did was glare at me the whole show. It was odd having her keep her nasty comments to herself, but a very nice kind of odd. Cort kept his distance too, which worried me a little. He stopped by a couple of times and spat out a few sarcastic comments, but he spent most of his time hanging out in the dressing room which made me uncomfortable. I didn't like that he was separating himself from his friends cuz he was mad at me. And, while a part of me knew this was a good thing, that this is what I wanted, more of me was worried that the only people he ever talked to were sitting in a circle over here, while he hid inside the dressing room. Sometime around the third act, I decided to make an attempt to fix the situation.

I waited for a lull in the conversation before I leaned into Max to whisper in his ear, "I'm gonna go hang out with Lis and Abby for a bit okay? Do me a favor and go tell Cortland that I'm not hanging out with you guys anymore and that he can come out and play now."

Yes, my voice got bitter at the end of it, okay? I was doing a nice thing, that doesn't mean I had to be nice while doing it.

Max pulled me in tighter to him when I went to get up, "Come on, you don't have to leave on his account. If he's going to be bitchy about it, we'd rather have you around anyways. Stayyyy." His voice turned into a whine at the end of his sentence.

I pushed myself away laughingly, "He's your best friend, now go talk to him, okay? He's been gone a while. Besides" I kissed him quickly, "we've got plenty of time to spend together."

"Would you guys mind getting a room or something?" Luke's complaint rang out from across the circle.

"I think it's kind of cute." I had never heard Diana actually voice an opinion about something, so I was more than a little shocked when she chose to speak up.

I smiled at the shy girl, "Thanks, but I was getting up anyways" I shot a pointed look at Luke but smirked to try and soften it.

"Truly, a miracle" He mocked back at me.

I shot Max a quick look to remind him to go talk to Cortland before I left and hurried over to the other side of the backstage where Abbi and Lis were huddled.

"Sup bitches?" I smirked as I slid down next to them.

"Well from the looks of you two over there, quite a bit" Abbi teased

"I take it things are going well then?"

"Yes and no." I bit my lip, not sure how to explain to them what I'd decided earlier that day.

"Okay cool... and that means what exactly?" Lis was clearly not willing to let me get away without an explanation.

I couldn't make eye contact with the girls as I thought about how to explain this to them, but while my eyes were trying their best to look anywhere and everywhere else, I saw Max slipping into the dressing room and, for no reason in particular, it made me smile. If he could do it, so could I, I suppose.