Chapter Eight: The Dock

I'm not sure how I expected the dock trip to go or what exactly I imagined we'd do. It just kind of popped out of my mouth and everybody seemed to go with it, so I figured, 'What the hell?'

I should've thought it through.

As it was, things worked out better than I thought they would. We pulled up on the small, empty beach with Max's trap crap blaring and all poured out, drinks in hand.

"What do you guys wanna do?" Aurora put the question to the group.

"I'm gonna go dip my feet in the water" Harper announced, carrying her drink with her down to the edge of the dock.

"That sounds good." Max started to head in the same direction and the rest of us followed.

I know it's dumb, but I kinda panicked. We were all just following Harper and I didn't know what needed to happen here to help my plan, but I definitely knew that following Harper around like a freaking puppy would not. So I did the first thing that popped into my head.

"Wait!" I turned back to the car and picked up Max's phone from where it sat on the seat, still attached to the aux cord. Hitting the play button on the playlist, I spun the car's stereo dials all the way up and the music screamed from the speakers.

I turned to the group and shouted over the music, "Let's blare this trap crap!"

"Trap Crap?" Max seemed almost amused.

"Yup. It that a problem?" I smiled in a way that almost dared him to make it one.

He didn't take me up on it, just matched my smile. "Not a bit."

We walked to end of the dock when I heard a song come on that was not trap crap.

"Is this MKTO?"

"Yeah. Why, you like them?"

I smirked and started dancing. To preface this, I should explain that I am terrible at dancing. The only dancing I can do is white boy dancing. I can whip and nay-nay, I know how to drop it, and floss. Aside from that, I move my arms in purposeful movements that kinda line up with the beat of the music and make a duck face because it's less awkward that way.

That's exactly what I did too. I did the stupid trending dance moves that I've seen others do and I did them terribly. But I did them, shouting the lyrics as I did so. Max and Aurora laughed at me, but gave up making fun of me and joined in, making idiots of themselves as well. After a while, even Harper stood up and joined in. Mostly she just took videos and posted them on Snap Chat, but occasionally she contributed an awkward floss.

Surprisingly the scene lasted longer than the song did, spanning the next couple trap crap songs too. I didn't mind though; this was why I joined theater, for the spontaneous dance and song that seemed almost fictional.

The only person who refrained from joining us was Cortland. He stood off to the side of the dock and sent us all icy glares and judgy looks from his high horse.

At one point, I turned to Max and whispered under the music, "What do you think he'd do if we pushed him in?"

He gave me a crooked kind of smile, "What are the odds?"

"1 in 10" I half laughed the words out.

"1...2...3...6" I stopped dead when we both shot out a 6.

"You're kidding me."

"Hey, you made the bet."

I glared at Max, but – in all honesty – I'd been imagining this moment since I met the kid so I didn't put up too much of a fight as I fake bopped over to Cortland.