Chapter Sixteen: Cool Down

"Fireworks! Are you shitting me?" Abbi was freaking out at my story.

"Abbi, seriously. They're trying to run a scene up there." I gestured towards the large, open, grassy area serving as our stage at rehearsals.

"Whatever." She blew me off, but at least her voice dropped. "I can't even imagine those goody two shoes lighting off a firework."

"I just love that you freaked out over the fireworks, but not the image of Cortland Bellamy climbing onto a roof."

"Oh, that's because at least I buy the fireworks part. You made that other thing up."

"I swear to you that I did not. I'm not even creative enough for that."

Abbi laughed. "I'll give you that much."

We were running Act One today which meant just about everybody was called for rehearsal, even Abbi and Lis. Lis walked back from her scene and dropped to the ground next to Abbi.

"Why is it so hot out here? This is unnatural." She fanned herself.

"It's not so bad. It's definitely been hotter." I offered.

"Sure doesn't feel like it." Lis laid back onto the grass, fanning her face. Abbi and I followed suit.

"Yikes. Now it's too sunny too."

"Hey Flip Phone, stop complaining. It's assaulting my ears all the way over here." Cortland shouted from across the grass.

I sat up to glare at him before pulling my sunglasses down to cover my eyes and flipping him off.

"Ass." I caught him laughing at me before I laid back again.

Abbi smirked. "What?" I asked, mildly annoyed.

"Nothing. I just see that that's going well."

"Yeah." Lis chimed in. "It seems like you guys are becoming fast friends."

"Whatever" I muttered as I stood up, "I have to go do a scene."

I walked over to the 'stage' and stood off to the side while Miranda yelled at people to move the desk onstage for our scene. I always felt bad not helping move stuff, since usually that's my job, but at the same time, this is the one show where I am not required to lift things that weigh almost as much as me, so I will not.

As I'm waiting, Cortland walks up, his hands folded behind his back.

"You know you don't have to walk like an idiot until the scene starts, right? Before that, it's just you looking dumb."

The scene coming up was just the two of us. To be fair, it was just me bossing him around since his character was my character's servant and it was for two seconds, but they still made him walk and stand in ways that were too stupid to look human.

He smirked. "I'll take looking dumb over getting yelled at by Marie and Miranda."

"Do we need to have a physicality practice?" I imitated Miranda's constant threat in a high-pitched tone.

He laughed. "My point exactly."

"Whenever you're ready" Marie yelled from her spot in front of the 'stage'.

"Lord, it's hot." I fanned myself once before turning to Cortland, "You ready?"

He nodded at me and I walked on. Leaning against the desk I delivered the first line of the scene: "Did my father strike my gentleman for chiding of his – ack!"

My line was cut off by a jet of water from behind Marie and Miranda. It smacked me in the face and cut off my words.

"What the hell?" I turned to see Max holding a squirt gun pointed in my direction and turned to Cortland, "Did you..."

He pulled his hands from behind his back and produced two small squirt guns of his own, hitting me directly in the stomach as Max turned his gun toward our directors.

"Are you serious?" I shouted at them through a face full of water, running towards a tree for cover. Next to the tree though, I saw a better idea.

I grabbed a plastic water bottle from the grass and turned around, yanking the cap off.

"Wait... See, I just..." Cortland started to back away, forgetting his assault for a second. My arm darted forward, and a stream of water bolted out of the water bottle, soaking Cortland's chest and arms.

"Oh my God, that's hilarious!" Max could barely stand, he was laughing so hard. Miranda and Marie grabbed their water bottles and proceeded to both dump the contents over his head.

Cortland used the opportunity to get another shot of water at me. I whipped my head back towards him, murder in my eyes.

"Oh shit. You dead." I heard someone comment.

"Run, bro. Run." Max advised.

I lunged forward and Cortland did not hesitate. He turned and bolted, sprinting away from me as fast as he could. I chased him for a minute before I stopped, walking back towards rehearsal.

"You let him get away?" Max sounded slightly shocked.

"I didn't see that coming." Harper chimed in.

I shrugged at them, "Running's not really my thing."

"Still, you just let him get away." I don't know why this was so astounding to them.

I stopped moving to catch my breath and started undoing my braid so my hair could dry, the water bottle laying next to me in the grass.

"Okay guys, we really do need to start rehearsal back up again. Tech week's coming up fast and we really need to work on this stuff." Marie reminded us all.

We all groaned at that. "I'll text Cort to come back." Aurora volunteered.

It was less than a minute before Cortland returned from hiding. He walked up a little hesitantly, but seeing no water bottles in anyone's hands he seemed to gain confidence. He glanced at me, still drenched from his assault, "Who looks dumb now?" He smirked and walked over to our entrance.

I picked up the water bottle and walked over to the side of the 'stage'. In one quick motion, I dumped the contents over his head and as his jaw dropped I let the bottle fall out of my hands, walking onstage.

I leaned against the desk and glanced back at his dumbfounded expression. Smirking at him, I started the scene. Now, we were ready to start.

"Did my father strike my gentleman for chiding of his fool?"