10. Of Angels and Demons

Chapter Ten

Of Angels and Demons

Warmth wakes me in the most blissful way. Smiling, I turn in the cocoon of warmth and press my face against its source. I remember this. How it feels.

He breathed a sigh on the top of my head. It's that ruffle of my hair that forced my eyes open. Spread out on Dominic's chest, I was trapped in the loop of his arms. When I tried to pull away, he only held on tighter.

"I sleep better with you in my arms," he muttered, still half asleep.

I didn't know what to say to that, other than to agree. Instead, I pressed my lips together. I made up my mind a long time ago, how love only brought ruin to my life. Of course, that was when I thought it was Victor's minions who killed my friends, and how it was me who brought Dominic into their lives. Now, everything changed with a few words.

Truth is, I wasn't sure if I believed him. I wasn't sure if I wanted to change all of my ideals that I've been slaving over for the past three years since my friends died.

He hummed in content, but that only forced my shackles to raise. I needed to get out of his arms. Away from his comfort. Away from feelings I could no longer feel.

"I guess you should have considered that before you went coo-coo for dada."

Just as I thought, he tensed around me. What surprised me was the churn of guilt that made me a bit nauseous. Feeling a loosening of his arms, I took that as my opportunity to get up. I faced the white light pooling from the window, if only to hide my frown.

I've been a bitch for a long time. I've never hated it more than right now.

I heard Dominic shifting out of bed behind me. "I will contact the magic-user and tell him to meet us outside of Titus' pack." He left the room with a slam of the door, causing me to flinch.

"This is when you'd look at me funny and make me feel bad for being a horrible person, Charles," I whispered into the empty air. Turning, I noticed another cellphone left on the bed. Assuming that's meant for me to call my contact, I pluck it up and dial the familiar number.

It wasn't until it started ringing that I realized exactly what I was doing. Fallen angels were hell to deal with. Ex-boyfriend fallen angels with a bone to pick were ten times worse.

"Hello, hello, hello," a chipper woman's voice answered the phone. "Lucky luck you for reaching the Great Alastair Angel! My name is Peach Patch and I will be honoured to converse with you."

I rolled my eyes, wondering what I saw in the dude. Desperate times. "Uh, yeah. Can I speak with Alastair?"

The woman let out a high-pitched giggle. "Oh, oh! Silly you. Have you made an appointment with the Great Alastair Angel? He is a busy, busy man!"

"Could you tell him CC is calling?"

The woman went quiet for a few seconds. Her next giggle sounded nervous. "Oh, even sillier, I see! CC is the last person on this very planet that the Great Alastair Angel would want to speak with." She still sounded chipper but detected a hint of hostility.

"How about this; you tell him I am on the line right now and the Great Alastair Angel can decide for himself whether or not he wants to speak with me?"

"Oh, but I am so sorry! You haven't made an appointment with the Great-"

"Listen, lady, hand the phone over or I'll track you down and shove the phone your holding so far up your ass, you'll-"