Chapter 15 - The Pass of Cahadhras

Thorodriel: Chapter 15

Soon enough the group was trudging through snow at the curvature of the mountains. All except the two elves were waist-deep with ice-cold crystals melting into their clothes, freezing their bones as they pressed on. The two men had taken to carrying the hobbits who would otherwise be buried beneath the frozen landscape. Even Gandalf had often cast worried glances their way, before pushing ahead on the treacherous path which seemed narrower by the day.

"We cannot keep at this pace," the Gondorian complained, screaming to be heard over the howling wind. "The hobbits are not made for this terrain, and even we are tiring quickly!"

But after some urging from Aragorn, even he agreed that if Gandalf believed it to be the best route then they should struggle on.

Aeweneth's mind had shifted elsewhere, however. Multiple times, Legolas had to snap her out of a reverie and jolt her back to the present. But, unwillingly, she kept being drawn back into herself. Flitting above the snow, barely making footprints while her companions struggled, she could almost feel something tugging at her mind. At first, she thought it was the ring - its ever dark and evil presence reaching out to her. But she soon pushed this theory away after accidentally focusing on its voice. It was almost like whispers on the wind, wailing around them. She tried to warn Gandalf, but he just looked at her worriedly and seemed to quicken their pace. She would have dismissed the voice in time had it not suddenly increased in clarity the day they reached a sub-peak, where the weather seemed to hit their faces all the harder and the path narrowed to a single file.

"Cuiva nwalca Carnirasse; nai yarvaxea rasselya!"

The words nipped at her ears, clearer than ever before. Aeweneth called to Legolas, hoping for support. By the confused look that shadowed his features, he appeared to have also caught wind of the whispers this time.

"Did you hear that?" She asked.

He turned to look at her, more certain now than before, and nodded in assurance. Aeweneth felt herself relax slightly at the knowledge that she wasn't alone in this anymore.

"Oh, thank fuck. I've been hearing it for days. Can you work out what it's saying?"

Legolas darted ahead slightly and paused for a moment, waiting for the group to catch up while he listened.

"No, but we need to be careful. Something is wrong." He replied eventually, before turning to the rest of the group.

"There is a fell voice on the air." He announced.

The fellowship paused, still buried in the snow, and something dawned on Gandalf's face.

"It's Saruman!" He cried, looking around in panic as though he only just realised the reality of their situation.

A thunderous crack echoed around them and a shower of rocks fell from above. Grabbing her old friend by the cloak, Aeweneth pulled Gandalf into the wall and held him back protectively from the falling debris. She watched as the rocks narrowly missed the Fellowship and tumbled into the ravine below.

"He's trying to bring down the mountain, Gandalf! We must turn back!" Screamed Aragorn over the roaring blizzard.

"No!" the wizard responded, pushing Aeweneth off him and stepping forward to the edge of the cliff.

He took a breath and bellowed, "Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!"

His deep and powerful cries echoed off the mountain face, penetrating the wind and snow. They could almost feel the power of his words rattling at their bones. For a moment, Aeweneth allowed herself to be hopeful, but her optimism was quickly dashed when Saruman's response resonated across the landscape all the louder.

"Cuiva nwalca Carnirasse; Nai yarvaxea rasselya; taltuva notto-carinnar!" his voice came, drowning out Gandalf completely and waking the mountain.

Suddenly, from the darkening sky came a bolt of lightning. It hit the peak of Caradhras like a spear, shattering its sculpted stone. Aeweneth watched, terrified, as rocks and snow tumbled and an avalanche hailed down upon the fellowship, burying them completely.

She couldn't breathe. With every gasp and cry, icy shards filled her mouth and blocked her airways. The thick, heavy snow enveloped her with its glacial fingers. Aeweneth tried to move, to reach out and grab. She tried anything to escape the frozen prison she found herself in, but nothing worked. The surface seemed unreachable. No matter how hard she kicked and struggled, she seemed to slip further and further down into the cold depths. The young elf felt panic build in her chest as she realised she was trapped. Memories flitted across her darkening vision and she heard a terrified scream echo through her mind in terror. It was a familiar sound – one Aeweneth had made only once before. The snow around her seemed to compact more and more as she struggled, numbing her open skin and piercing through to her very core. She had almost given up hope when a callused hand slipped into her outstretched palm, offering safety and protection. She forced her head upwards to see the snow above her gradually shifting. Daylight pierced through, and she finally let herself relax slightly.

Aragorn, still holding her hand, pulled the elf out of the frozen pit and onto the surface. Aeweneth felt shapes blurring around her, her vision foggy and breathing erratic. Vaguely, she felt herself being gently lifted off the ground, but her mind was elsewhere. Racing through her head were images of the past. Of the ever-encroaching darkness and bleeding fingers. Of a heart-shattering scream and pure unadulterated terror.

Suddenly, a cold palm brushed her face and Aeweneth's trance fractured. Back to reality, she looked up into two caring, sapphire orbs watching her in concern. She looked down to Legolas' thumb, brushing away the river of tears she had not realised ran down her cheeks. Shaking herself mentally, she glanced around at the group and realised they had all made it through the ordeal. Aeweneth took a breath before looking back to the elf who held her.

"Are you back with us?" He questioned, so quiet even she almost missed it over the howling wind.

She nodded and felt some warmth rekindle in her chest as he leant forward and kissed her forehead delicately in support.

Turning to face the fellowship, she realised they were eventually considering other routes.

"Let the Ringbearer decide." Gandalf declared.

Frodo surveyed the group. Ignoring the cries of Boromir, he first turned to the other hobbits, frozen and terrified. Somehow, amongst the mountainous landscape, they looked all the smaller.

Next, however, his gaze hesitated on Aeweneth. In his eyes, the young elf saw an anxious blend of questioning and remorse. She knew, without a doubt, that his decision had been made. Resigned to her fate, she nodded absently and felt herself burrow even further into Legolas' comforting embrace.

"We will go through the mines."