Chapter 7 - Counting Stars

Thorodriel: Chapter 7 - Counting Stars

Again, Aeweneth was struggling to sleep. Not only did she have the past to contend with, but now also the knowledge of Arwen's predicament and the meeting tomorrow. Knowing she would never find rest in her bed, once again she snuck down the stairs and into the night. It wasn't until she was settled in the grass below the stars however, that the young elf realised she was not alone. She felt at her sides before remembering she had left her twin blades back on her nightstand.

"Damn!" She thought to herself.

Whilst Aeweneth knew it was safe in Rivendell, she still felt vulnerable out here in the dark, alone and without any weapons. She lay with her eyes closed as still as possible. Pretending to be asleep, she waited for the element of surprise. Slowly but surely, her stalker made his way into the clearing. When he was only seconds away, she sprung up and tackled him to the ground. It was only once they landed among the grass, one on top of the other, that she looked into his piercing blue eyes and realised his identity.

"Legolas?" She asked in shock. Quickly, she scampered away from him, brushing the earth from her knees, "What the hell are you doing?"

The blond elf chuckled, coughing slightly as he stood up. Her attack appeared to have winded him somewhat.

"I did not mean to startle you mellon nin, I simply wondered what the youngest daughter of Elrond was doing sneaking about the forest at night."

Aeweneth laughed slightly at his confession. Even she had to admit her wanderings were odd. She could be more ranger than elf at times.

"I err... I sleep better out here" She admitted, tucking her hair behind her ears in embarrassment. "I've lived away for so long, it's weird to be home and in a bed, I guess."

The elven prince smiled and nodded slightly, seemingly understanding her problem. "Yes. I must admit, it was strange to see you roaming the halls here after so many years."

The two sat in silence for a moment, slowly taking each other in. Aeweneth hadn't seen Legolas since she was practically a child; before everything started going wrong in her life. The young prince was just as beautiful as ever, though. His blonde hair, like her own, reflected the light of the stars and his sapphire eyes seemed to penetrate her very soul, taking her breath away. Aeweneth felt her cheeks turn crimson, blushing under his scrutiny. Clearing her throat, she turned away from him to compose herself.

"It's nice to see you again. I take it you are here for the council?"

At this Legolas looked away also, almost in shame, "Actually, I was on my way here already on other business. But yes, my arrival means that I will be attending the meeting."

"Good," She said, surprised at how much his answer pleased her. It was nice to have a familiar face around, especially one that didn't bear painful memories. When Aeweneth looked into those kind blue eyes all she could think of were happier times. She spent many hours with him as a child, playing in the trees, swimming in the lake, and laughing under the stars. She sighed, feeling somewhat comforted by his presence once more, "I'm glad you're here mellon nin."

Aeweneth lay down in the centre of the clearing, taking her place among the grass and looking up to the stars. She felt the earth beside her flatten as Legolas settled beside her. The pair soaked in the quiet for some time, savouring the clear sky and sounds of the wild together. At night, undisturbed by their kind, everything felt alive within the forest.

"Do you remember when we were young, and your amil would take us out here to count the stars?" Legolas finally broke the silence; caution etched his voice.

Aeweneth took a moment before answering. Those were the most wonderful times of her life, and she couldn't forget them if she tried. Celebrain had loved the stars and brought her out here often to lie below them. The two of them would talk for hours, telling stories and basking in the light of the Valar. If Legolas was in Rivendell, he would often accompany them. Arwen and her brothers too, sometimes. But for Aeweneth, those moments were always the most special when it was just her and her mother. She cleared the lump in her throat and looked to the blonde elf at her side.

"That's why I come out here," she explained, "to be close to her."

Understanding dawned on his face and the two fell into a comfortable silence once more. Soon, Aeweneth's eyes grew heavy and her breathing began to slow. Just as she was about to fall into the alluring nothingness of sleep, she felt a strong hand slip into hers: grounding her and soothing her grief.