Chapter 19 - The Battle of Moria Mine

Thorodriel: Chapter 19

Gripping her blades with determination, Aeweneth watched as the battered door was torn down by the cursed beings on the other side. Their weapons shredded the wood and, through the slashes, she began to see the blackened eyes of her foes. Legolas was the first to fire, hitting his slim, wretched target with ease, and the dying screech of goblin signalled the beginning of the battle. Keeping her place beside Boromir, she readied herself for war.

Aeweneth watched as two more arrows were released before the door gave way and the enemy barrelled through. She wasted no time in bringing her blades up for the kill and, with every slice, she felt her determination strengthening. Goblin blood splattered across her tunic and stained the etchings on her blades. Around her, man, dwarf, elf, wizard, and hobbit threw themselves into the fray, their only thought survival - but for her, this meant more. In this dark, hellish pit, she couldn't help thinking back to all those years ago. She was reliving her nightmare. For Aeweneth, this was more than survival. This was vengeance. Her brothers' teachings echoed through her mind, reminding her never to let her guard down or get too comfortable, and, around her the enemy fell like flies.

A sudden crash drew her eyes to the doorway to see the cave troll force himself into the cavern. A broken chain around its neck, the creature roared threateningly and charged at the hobbits in the centre of the room. The distraction cost Aeweneth slightly, and she felt a goblin blade graze her cheek. Furious at herself for losing focus, she gutted the opponent and swiftly moved onto the next, knowing the rest of her team needed backup if they were to take on a fully-grown troll.

Aeweneth had just cleared a group of goblins when she saw the giant foe throw Boromir across the room. His human body, caught on the rusted chain, crashed against the wall and he tumbled to the ground, stunned. As the Gondorian lay dazed, the young elf spotted a lonely goblin making his way over to strike. She reacted without hesitation, and time slowed as her blade spiralled through the air to hit its target. The polished silver embedded itself into the goblin's throat and it fell to the ground - dead. Boromir's dazed eyes met Aeweneth's across the cavern, and she nodded in assurance before heading back into the fray.

The troll was destroying the tomb. Weapon in hand, it swung at anything that moved, not caring if friend or foe. Goblins flew through the air and Aeweneth ran to the defence of Gimli, who had been knocked to the ground and surrounded in his attempts to take on the beast. Above her, Legolas danced on the platform, ducking and weaving to avoid the troll's deathly club and chain. She kept him in her periphery in case assistance was required, but trusted her friend to survive this hellish pit alongside her. Grabbing a discarded sword from the ground, she dove back into battle once more.

It wasn't until she heard Aragorn's cry that she realised the troll had moved on to easier prey.

"Frodo!"

From across the hall she tried to fight her way through to the hobbits, but the enemy surged around her, strong and fast. Trusting the Ranger, the Fellowship fought on, undeterred and fearless in their battle against the troll. Goblins fell and blood splattered across her bare skin as she fought on, determined to reach her friends in their hour of need. She had just cleared her last foe when she felt it.

For a moment, time froze and Aeweneth's breath caught in her throat. She knew, without seeing, that she was too late. Around her, Gandalf too had paused, and the hobbits stood watching in horror as their friend fell to the ground gasping. The Fellowship had failed.

It was Merry and Pippin who broke the moment. Together, united by grief and swords at the ready, they ran at the troll. Their attack brought Aeweneth back to reality, and she put aside her despair to finish the task at hand. Once again vengeance consumed her, but this time for a new subject. Grabbing her second blade from the fallen goblin, she moved with purpose towards the troll. She felt as Legolas joined her, and side by side they faced the beast.

As the troll reached up and grabbed Merry by the legs, they sprang into action. Without hesitation Aeweneth threw herself at the beast, climbing its back like a rockface and digging her blades into its spine. With every stab, she felt her resolution strengthen until finally, she was at its shoulders. Looking down, she caught Legolas' eye and knew what she had to do.

"Loro vae" she whispered bitterly before shifting.

With all her might Aeweneth thrust her blade into the skull of the creature and dragged its head back to expose the throat. The Sindarin elf wasted no time in releasing an arrow directly into the beast's open mouth. She suddenly felt the troll groan and stumble beneath her, and managed to steady herself into a crouch on its back, with her blade as an anchor, as it tumbled face-first to the ground. The troll was dead.

The cave stood silent for a moment before the group ran to Frodo in alarm. Aeweneth yanked her blade from the troll's cranium and wiped its foul blood on her tunic before scuttling over to join the others. The group held their breath as they drew closer to their fallen friend and the young elf watched Aragorn turned the body over defeatedly. But, as Frodo moved, she let out a sigh of relief. Hope was restored with every impossible breath the hobbit took. Aeweneth watched as Sam, the ever-faithful companion, rushed over in desperation to see his master alive and well.

"He's alive!" he cried, as Frodo sat up and looked around, taking in the faces of his worried guardians.

"I'm alright, I'm not hurt!" he assured them.

Aeweneth's confusion soon overtook relief as she inspected the scene. Frodo's survival seemed impossible, and she cautiously shifted closer in an attempt to examine his colossal wound.

"You should be dead..." she murmured in awe, before looking to her old apprentice for support.

"That spear would have skewered a wild boar," Aragorn confirmed, nodding in amazement.

For a moment, no one spoke as they all realised how close they came to losing their charge. The future of Middle Earth relied on them all, and they had almost failed at their single task - to defend the ring bearer at all costs. Aeweneth felt her shame rise and promised to herself that she would do better. She would need to give everything to protect Frodo and Aragorn. A sigh from Gandalf broke her reverie.

"I think there's more to this hobbit than meets the eye," he noted, the slight twinkle of amusement in his eyes returning for a moment.

Aeweneth's gaze returned to Frodo as he parted his shirt, revealing the invaluable vest beneath.

"Mithril." Gimli breathed in wonder. "You are full of surprises Master Baggins!"

Throughout her life, the young elf had heard tales of the precious metal, but had never seen it in person until now. Aeweneth watched in awe as Sam ran his fingers across the silver scales, seemingly illuminating the dim cavern with their ethereal beauty.

Suddenly, the Fellowship were dragged back to reality by the sound of screeching drawing closer. Turning, Aeweneth saw deadly shadows flickering across the cavern walls and, realising they were not out of danger just yet, shook herself mentally. She slid her blades into her belt and made her way to the centre of the chamber. Seeing her prize she bent and took a bow and quiver from one of the goblins she had slain. The wretched creature hadn't even had time to pull the string before she had slit its throat. Testing the weapon in her grip, she caught Legolas' eyes across the room. Whilst the others helped Frodo up and recovered for a moment, he watched her in curiosity.

"It may not be elvish quality, but I'll have a higher chance of taking the bastards out before they get too close again," she said, smiling slightly at his puzzled glance.

At his brief nod of encouragement, she felt the familiar warmth blossom in her chest. Before she had time to dwell on it, however, the deafening drums rang out throughout Moria once more.

"To the Bridge of Khazad-dum!" cried Gandalf in alarm, and the Fellowship followed him swiftly back into the hellish, dwarven mine.