Chapter 9 - Preparation

Thorodriel: Chapter 9 - Preparation

"So it's true," Arwen's voice echoed from the doorway, "you're leaving again."

After the meeting concluded, Aeweneth had wasted no time in escaping to the quiet of her bedroom to begin packing. She had just slipped the last few healing essentials into her satchel when she heard Arwen approach the door, apprehensively.

"I have to," the young elf said, turning to see her sister's face flash with hurt, "you know it's the right thing to do."

"You don't need to go; they could cope without you!" Arwen cried, "You fight no better with a sword than any of those men down there."

Aeweneth knew this was true, and the fellowship probably could complete their goal without her assistance. But that didn't mean she wouldn't be helpful along the way, and even Gandalf had said her gifts could come in useful.

"Arwen, you know that's not the point." She focused on her sister's eyes, so similar to her own, and looked past the tears threatening to spill, "I can help, and I will. Please understand."

Arwen's eyes widened in shock and for a moment Aeweneth believed her sister was pacified. That hope was dashed, however, when the older elf shook her head in dismay and allowed tears to fall onto porcelain cheeks.

"I can't lose you again, I've just got you back." Arwen's voice cracked with dread, "I just got both of you back!"

Finally understanding her sister's fears, Aeweneth made her way towards her.

"Arwen," she called, softly in comfort. It was too late, however, as her sister ran from the room in despair. "Arwen!" Aeweneth tried again, but there was no reply.

She grabbed her shoes from the edge of her bed and quickly made to follow. The young elf had just reached the door when a familiar face blocked her exit.

"Woah!" Elladan cried, throwing his hands up in shock, "Slow down Twiggy, you almost flattened us!"

Aeweneth looked up into the identical faces of her brothers,

"I've got to find Arwen! She's upset, and I need to..."

"Don't worry about Arwen," Elrohir interrupted, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "You can speak to her once she's calmed down. It'll all be okay."

"But she was crying, and she's scared! I need to explain!" Aeweneth tried to push past the twins again, but their combined strength held her to the spot. Eventually, she gave up, feeling her eyes prick with sorrow. Elladan took her hand carefully and lead her to the bed, where all three sat in a reassuring circle.

After a few silent moments, Aeweneth realised her throat was aching with unspent tears, "She thinks she's going to lose us both. Me and Aragorn." She explained.

Her brothers glanced at each other quickly, before looking back at her remorseful gaze and shaking their heads.

"She doesn't actually believe that muinthel," Elladan explained, "She's just upset that you are wanting to leave again so quickly."

"Yeh Twiggy," Elrohir agreed, "You just got back. She wanted the chance to get to know you before you ran off again."

Suddenly things slid into place for Aeweneth, and looking into her brother's eyes she realised that they felt the same as Arwen. Her heart broke with guilt and the tears in her eyes began to spill.

"I'm sorry," She conceded, "But you know that I need to do this. For myself... and for amil"

Her brothers nodded in understanding, "We know sister, but that doesn't make it any easier to let you go." Elladan admitted.

Overcome with emotion once more, she leant forward and held them both close.

After a few tender moments, the trio separated and wiped the tears from their cheeks.

Elladan was the first to break the silence,

"I see you are all packed, then."

Aeweneth cleared her throat before replying, "Yeah, I hadn't really unpacked in the first place... I only had to throw in a few more supplies and essentials."

"I think ada might want to add something to that list before you leave" her brother commented.

"Yeh, you should probably head down and speak to him before you head off." Elrohir added, conspiratorially.

She nodded absentmindedly and looked out her window, realising how much time had passed since the meeting. She climbed off the bed and grabbed her satchel, before sliding her blades back into their sheaths. She stood in front of the mirror, nervously.

"How do I look?" She asked her brothers, putting on a brave face despite the daunting circumstances.

The twins glanced at each other and grinned before answering in agreement,

"Like a warrior."

***

After dropping her bag off near the entrance to Rivendell, Aeweneth set out in search of her father. Whilst the two had never been on the best of terms, she knew they needed to speak before she left with the Fellowship. Even if they didn't fully straighten things out, she was curious as to what her brothers were talking about. When she left Rivendell all those years ago, she brought with her everything she could possibly need and had survived all this time on the bare essentials.

"Trust ada to think he knows better," she thought to herself, rolling her eyes in annoyance.

As she turned the corner into the grand hall, however, she came across Gandalf and Aragorn speaking to the Gondorian from the meeting earlier. It didn't take elvish hearing for Aeweneth to figure out that they were arguing. Not wanting to intrude, she hovered at the doorway and tried to ignore their shouts.

"You actually support this decision Mithrandir?" the man asked, clearly in shock about the wizard's opinion.

"I am highly supportive Boromir, as would you be if you actually gave her a chance instead of assuming that she's some naïve and inexperienced child!"

At this Aeweneth's ears perked up in curiosity.

"You do not know of whom you speak," Aragorn added. "Join us if you wish, but do not assume you are worth more to this quest than an elf with centuries more experience and knowledge."

"Aeweneth is a skilled warrior and healer, Boromir, and we will need her gifts before the end. That is all I will say on the matter." Gandalf concluded.

Clearly beaten, the Gondorian let out a huff of frustration before marching out in fury. After his exit, Aeweneth slowly crept out from her hidden spot at the doorway.

"I guess not everyone is too keen on me tagging along then, old man." She joked, grabbing the pair's attention.

The wizard's eyes took in her appearance before he laughed softly, "Apparently not my dear. But when have the opinions of men ever held you back?"

At this she smiled, remembering the last time she left home all those years ago. "Speaking of: have you seen ada anywhere?"

Aragorn chuckled and pointed back the way she had come, "He headed back up to the white council chamber a short while ago, he should still be there." He said, smiling in reassurance.

Aeweneth offered her thanks and began to head back the way she had come when Gandalf's voice in her head caused her to pause,

"My dear, you belong in this fellowship. Do not let an insecure Steward convince you otherwise."

She turned and smiled at the old wizard, who had always supported her.

"Never." She assured him.