Chapter 13 - Shadows of Wings

Thorodriel: Chapter 13

By the next morning, Aeweneth had solidified her determination to be more present among the group. To try, at least. She started soon after waking the Fellowship by helping the young hobbits with their packs. With easy grace, she showed them how to roll up their makeshift beds and efficiently fit everything into the elvish bags. Later, she offered to scout ahead for food when both Merry and Pippin complained about missed meals. Frodo seemed to notice her attempts and, after a small nod of encouragement from Aragorn, sat beside her during their infrequent rests. This continued for many days until, much like she and Sam, the pair were more than happy to sit in each other's company.

A few days in, they were doing just that whilst watching Boromir train the other hobbits to wield a blade. The Gondorian had taken to treating them as children, Aeweneth had noticed, but she chose not to question it as neither Merry nor Pippin appeared to mind. The young elf supposed they were children, innocent and naive in terms of war and combat. Either way, it was difficult not to smile at the hobbits' easy-going attitude and excitement at using a sword for the first time.

"Good. Very Good." Boromir complimented their improving form.

Pippin was definitely picking it up, if only slightly. Though, Aeweneth noticed a few errors in his stance from a distance.

"Move your feet." Aragorn chimed in, saving her from interrupting.

A conversation across camp suddenly caught her attention, and she felt dread bloom in the pit of her stomach.

"Gandalf, we could pass through the Mines of Moria." The Dwarf suggested, keenly. "My cousin Balin would give us a royal welcome."

Her breath caught in alarm and she stood quickly in an attempt to escape the encroaching anxiety nipping at her heart. In the back of her mind, dark memories flickered, and a familiar claustrophobia threatened.

"Not the mines. Please, anything but the mines." she prayed to herself in fear.

"No Gimli." Gandalf replied, "I would not take the road through Moria unless I had no other choice."

He looked at her pointedly across the group and Aeweneth let go of the breath she had been holding internally.

"There's no need to panic just yet, my dear." The old wizard's voice echoed in her mind, cautiously admonishing her reaction.

She nodded and shook herself out of the reverie, but traces of fear remained on her expression. Whilst the mines may not be an option at the moment, her heart hammered at the thought of them even coming into consideration. Yet she knew that, if the Fellowship needed it, she would willingly follow them into that hellish pit without question.

She chose to ignore the deep feeling of fear manifesting in her gut for now and wandered over to Legolas who was keenly studying the horizon. Aeweneth studied the elf, feeling that familiar fluttering in her stomach once again as she cast her eyes over his toned shoulders. He turned and caught her gaze, and her breath hitched in her throat.

"What do you see?" She asked, casting her eyes back to the horizon in an attempt to change the topic.

In the corner of her eyes, she saw his lips turn upward into a slight smile before turning to the wide expanse before them.

"I do not know. But my heart tells me to be cautious." Legolas replied with a soft whisper, almost imperceptible to their companions.

The pair stood, focused on the approaching black cloud for a few moments. Whilst it was too far away to be recognised just yet, the sight made both of them tense. Once again, Aeweneth felt dread bloom in her gut. Behind her, the Fellowship had noticed their caution, and Sam stood to see what they were staring at.

"What is that?" He asked, hoping his worries could be eased.

Gimli also rose and followed their gaze to the horizon.

"Nothing, it's just a wisp of cloud" He dismissed.

Aeweneth concentrated, blocking out the voices around her in an attempt to distinguish the dark mass moving towards them. Whilst from a distance it appeared as a single entity, when she focused she could make out familiar shadows moving individually among it.

"Are those...wings?" She asked Legolas. He caught her eyes for a moment before turning back to the cloud.

After a few seconds, the answer came to them both simultaneously.

"Crebain! From Dunland!" Legolas cried, and the Fellowship scarpered in panic.

"Hide!"

"Hurry!"

"Frodo! Take cover!"

Around her, man, dwarf, wizard, and hobbit all hurried to grab their belongings and hide among the foliage. Aeweneth moved to help douse the fire when she felt a hand slip into her own and drag her underneath the rocks out of sight. Two strong arms wrapped themselves around her torso pulling her closer, and she shuffled into the warm safety they offered.

Suddenly, a great flock of black crows descended upon them. Wings beat against the wind, and the scratching of talons hitting near-by boulders echoed through an otherwise silent camp. Not a single member of the Fellowship dared to breathe as the dark creatures circled. Aeweneth closed her eyes, feeling the familiar energy crackling throughout her body. Cautiously, she breathed in deeply and focused her mind. For a split second, the world around her darkened and her sight settled on the winged creatures. A shadowy image pierced her mind: a pale, skeletal hand hovering over a sinister, burning eye. Through the dark fog, a single voice scratched at her consciousness, and she found herself staring directly into a pair of knowing, obsidian eyes.

"There you are."

She gasped, bringing herself back to the present just as the birds began to retreat. Across the camp, she caught eyes with Gandalf hiding below a dead and lifeless tree.

"Saruman." She warned him, and he nodded realising his fears were confirmed.

As the birds slowly left, Aeweneth's mind cleared and she realised she was still clutching the arms holding her. She became aware of just how close she was to her companion and looked up to find herself, once again, mesmerised by a pair of piercing blue eyes. They seemed to see right through her, and her heart pounded as she breathed in his familiar forest scent. She squeezed Legolas's hand in thanks.

After a few moments, the birds were gone and the Fellowship eventually emerged from their hiding places. Aeweneth scuttled out from below the rocks, glancing back at Legolas quickly before standing to face the group fully. She felt a blush rise to her cheeks as she felt his hand brush her back in support, and a small, imperceptible smile graced both of their faces.

"Spies of Saruman," Gandalf announced, bringing them out of the reverie. Aeweneth sobered and focused on the issue at hand. "The passage south is being watched. We must take the Pass of Caradhras."

Aeweneth warily gazed up at the mountains before them, before casting her eyes back to the hobbits in concern. Caradhras was difficult, even during the summer months. She hoped Gandalf knew what he was doing.