eight : intractable heart

"of course he did," Jade said as tears welled in her eyes. "he's embarrassed of me."

Abigail shook her head. "he's not embarrassed of you, Jay. he went around holding your hand the first week of you two dating."

"okay but it's not the first week, Abigail." Jade snapped. "it's almost been three months, and he doesn't want me anymore. I'm not pretty enough, I'm not like Diana or Maddie or any other girl on the team."

"he doesn't want any other girl in the team Jade, he wants y-"

"THEN WHY DID HE KISS HER!?" Jade screamed standing up from her spot on Abigail's bedroom floor. "why did he kiss her in the hallway for everyone to see and then act as if it never happened, he didn't even tell me! I had to find out through instagram!"

"Jade, it was a dare I think." Abigail sighed.

"dare or not he kissed Diana Hargove not Jade Repond." she mumbled, as she slouched down back into the floor, tears taking over her again.

Abigail knew Jade was right. despite the fact that Abigail wanted her to be so badly wrong. she'd never seen her best friend as happy as she was when she was around Elijah. she didn't want her best friend's happiness to end.

"okay, then , confront him." Abigail shrugged.

Jade looked up from her sobbing. "confront him?" Jade asked, Abigail nodded her head.

"come on. he has practice tonight. let's get you all dressed up and then you can go and tell him every stupid bottled up emotion you feel." Abigail cried, forcing her best friend up from the floor.

Jade looked at her, her hair a mess and wearing a white worn down t-shirt and sweats. she didn't understand how Abigail  was going to make her look beautiful in thirty minutes. But somehow, she did. her long hair was straightened and she was wearing a headband, and a blue sparkly dress with flowers.

it's funny how everything right in your life can go to shit in just a few seconds if you aren't careful enough. she didn't blame herself for Elijah's faults, she just wonders why she wasn't good enough.

she thought Elijah liked that she was different. turns out, he was just fearful of them.

Jade pulled up to the practice. everyone was gone, but regretfully she knew Elijah well enough to know he'd stay late after practice to practice himself more.

he was alone on a dark football field, with only the bleacher lights on. she walked over to him, her dress dragging in the grass.

"Jade? why are you out here?" he asked turning around and seeing her.

"you stupid brainless boy. how could you stand here and face me and not even admit what you've done." Jade spat in his face.

"you found out?" Elijah asked, Jade rolled her eyes.

"of course I found out! I'm your girlfriend goddamit! people talk, Elijah! I know you don't think I'm pretty enough nor popular enough, or loving enough or perfect enough, but I thought I was at least good enough." Jade whispered as her heart shattered.

"Jade, it wasn't anything like that!" Elijah cried, running a hand through his hair. "it was a dare."

"a fucking dare!?" Jade let out a laugh. "believe me when I tell you I've heard far better lies come out of your mouth then that."

Elijah flinched when the words hit him. "what do you mean?"

"like how you told me you liked me. that's a good one. or when you said I was beautiful! HA! there's another good one," Jade was naming so many things. "OH! and here's the best one! "I love you"