1|| The Start Of Something New

Elizabeth Chase hated Paris. 

Don't get her wrong, it truly was a stunning place and well deserving of its title as the City of Love. The city brimmed with life and joy to the point were even the air carried the enchanting feeling unique to the French Capital. Loved-up couples walked hand-in-hand on the sidewalks while children played tag in the peaceful parks. Even the infrastructure carried an elegance to it with its wide-open streets and bustling stores, and of course, to complete the look, the renowned Eiffel Tower stood over all, a beloved symbol that would stand for decades to come.

However, as Elizabeth watched the city pass by through the tinted glass window of the limousine, she couldn't stop the bitter disappointment welling up in her chest. It was an undeniable fact that Paris was a beautiful city, but it was so different from the world Elizabeth knew and loved. It had only been a half hour since she had arrived and she already missed the wilderness. She longed to return to dense forests of the Amazon, revisit the sands of Egypt, and once again dip in the salty waters of the Bermuda Triangle. She wanted to be far away from civilization, with nothing but her father and a camera crew, searching out the secrets of nature.

Yet here she was.

Elizabeth tore her eyes away from the window, tilting her head back and staring at the red velvet roof of the car. A long, low sigh escaped through her lips as she closed her eyes, wishing that she was anywhere else. Then Elizabeth felt a small movement from the tan leather purse in her lap, and she glanced down just as a small black head poked out of her bag.

"Liza?" the small creature whispered, frowning, "are you okay?" Elizabeth gave her a sad smile, shaking her head.

"It's a big change for us Silver," Elizabeth admitted, running a hand through her dirty blonde hair. "I'm not sure how we'll adjust." She sighed again, before quickly glancing outside, mentally estimating how long it would take the limo to reach their destination. Deciding that they had enough time, she looked down and stretched out a hand to her kwami. "Come on, you don't have to hide in there just yet. It's just us in here right now."

Silver gave a small whoop, happily jumping out of the bag and into Elizabeth's hand, flapping her wings excitedly. "Thank goodness! I didn't want to stay in there any longer with Jumbe. He hogs up all the space."

"What?" Elizabeth grinned, poking Silver on the head teasingly. "Does my little magpie not like sharing?"

Silver huffed, swiping at the offending finger. "It's not that! Jumbe's the one who can't share!"

Elizabeth snorted, bringing the hand containing Silver closer to her body as she leaned over her bag. She used her other hand to gently unzip her purse, revealing her other kwami. She grinned at the sight of him curled up on the bottom of the purse, using an unopened packet of tissues as a pillow. She soon realized that Jumbe was producing tiny, almost inaudible snores as he slept, making her chuckle. She quickly zipped her purse back up, not wanting to disturb him any longer and turned her attention back to Silver.

Ironically, Silver was not the same color as her namesake. In fact, she was actually mostly black, with a splotch of white on her stomach. Her head (the largest part of her being) was black with a small white dot on her forehead. Three small feather-like antennas sprouted from the top of her head and down the back. Her irises were a dark blue and the rest of the eye (which on a human would be white) was a lovely light blue. 

Attached to her arms were wings that were a mixture of black, white, and iridescent blue. (Elizabeth often wondered about the practicality of the wings as Silver could fly perfectly well without them.) Last but not least, Silver had a tail of black and iridescent blue-green feathers.