18|| Say "Cheese", Forever Freeze

If Elizabeth thought that the derby hat contest was madness, she obviously wasn't prepared for the rest of the week. Apparently, her teacher had lots of "hands-on" activities in mind.

"Today we're going to be doing something a little different," Miss Bustier announced as soon as the day started. The class instantly quieted down, listening intently as she continued. "Please put your things away in your lockers and meet me in the courtyard."

Elizabeth raised her eyebrows, exchanging a look with Nathaniel. The two shrugged, standing up and grabbing their things to do as she asked.

"Please tell me it's not some sort of fitness day," Nathaniel grumbled to her as they entered the locker bay, "I hate exercise."

"As long as we don't have homework I couldn't care less," Elizabeth replied, stowing her school supplies away before pausing, considering what to do with her miniature backpack. Her teacher had said to put everything away, but she really didn't want to get separated from Silver and Jumbe. That being said, if what Nathaniel had said was correct and they were having some sort of fitness day, Elizabeth was certain she'd have to dump her backpack on the ground somewhere and she was even less okay with that option.

Still, if they were having a fitness day, wouldn't Miss Bustier tell them to wear workout-friendly clothes? She'd probably also tell them to bring a water bottle and things of the like.

Elizabeth shrugged, keeping her miniature backpack on as she shut her locker. She'd take her chances.

Five minutes later and everybody had gathered in the courtyard, ready for whatever came next. Nathaniel, Nino, Adrien, and Elizabeth had claimed one of the benches on the side, talking among themselves while they waited. Soon enough, Miss Bustier came down the stairs, gathering everyone together in one huddle with a wave of her hands.

To Elizabeth's surprise, Miss Bustier then led them outside of the the courtyard, leaving the school grounds alltogether.

"A field trip?" Nino voiced in surprise, letting out a whoop of excitement. "All right!"

"That's right, Nino," Miss Bustier revealed, briefly stopping to address the class. Her turquoise eyes glittered with excitement. "We're doing our work study field trip today!"

"Cool," Alya stated, crossing her arms and tilting her head. "But where are we going?"

Miss Bustier only smiled.

-----

"The mayor's hotel?" one of Elizabeth's classmates exclaimed as the group gawked at the massive building before them.

"Yes," Miss Bustier said, bringing them into the lobby, where the Mayor stood waiting. "Thanks to the generosity of Mr. Bourgeois, we're able to have our work experience field trip here today. Each of you will get hands-on experience with one of the many jobs here at the hotel," the class started to talk among themselves again, but before they could get too carried away, their teacher added, "You will be graded on your effort, which will effect whether you pass or fail the class."

Elizabeth watched with amusement as some of her classmates drooped, wilting with the realization that they couldn't play around the whole time. Still, despite that, the excitement in the air remained.

"With that in mind, it's time to hand out the roles. Mr. Bourgeois has already taken the liberty of assigning all of you to one of the hotel's jobs, so please listen closely for your name," her teacher finished, taking a step back. Mr. Bourgeois now had the stage.

The mayor cleared his throat, pulling out a sheet of paper. "Right. Let's get started then," his blue eyes scanned the paper for a moment before he spoke again. "Jeluka Couffaine, Rose Lavillant, Nino Lahiffe, and Max Kante will work with our restaurant chefs today. Kim Le Chien will be a part of our front-door security team while Nathaniel Kurtzberg and Mylene Haprele will work with room service staff."