18.5|| The Musically-Inclined

"Are you sure you don't want to come with us, Silver?" Elizabeth asked as she toyed with her dirty-blonde hair, attempting to braid it back. Her eyes flickered from her visage in her vanity mirror to Silver's form lounging on her bed.

"I'm sure," the magpie affirmed, sinking face-first into her pillow. "A opportunity to sleep in like this comes few and far between. There's no way I'm passing it up."

"If you say so," Jumbe called over to his fellow kwami, flying up from the bed and over to aid Elizabeth. The hazel-eyed girl flashed him a thankful smile. As he carefully held one of her locks, he continued, "But you better be confident of your decision. I won't stand any complaints later about not getting to come along."

Silver huffed, flipping over to lay on her back. "Trust me," she began, turning her head and opening her eyes to face the two, "I've spend plenty of time thinking it through-" her blue eyes widened, and she distractedly chirped, "Oh! Liza, you look so pretty!"

Elizabeth smiled warmly, accepting a hair tie from Jumbe to finish the braid. Now done, she stood up and took a step back, looking herself over.

She had gone for a casual look: light gray sweatpants to keep her warm in the cooling Autumn nights, a white tank top to help her stay cool if the concert got too stuffy, and white sneakers to match. After a moment's consideration, she threw on a thin but puffy collared bomber jacket lined with internal pockets, perfect for Jumbe to hide in. The coat was a purple shade—darker than Jagged's hair, but still perfect for the occasion.

Glancing once again into the mirror, Elizabeth decided that she was ready to go. "Keep yourself out of trouble, okay?" she asked Silver, shuffling over to gently rub the top of the sleepy kwami's head. "We'll be back in a few hours."

"'Kay," the magpie mumbled, "you too."

Jumbe and Elizabeth exchanged looks, nodded, and left the room without another word. Walking down the stairs, the young teen noticed her grandparents in the living room. She paused and turned, peeking her head inside.

"Grandma, Grandpa, I'm going out," the dirty blonde declared. Maxine and Orion stopped what they were doing (a game of Scrabble) and looked at her.

"Ah, right. The Jagged Stone concert?" Orion inquired. Elizabeth nodded in confirmation. "What time will you be back?"

Elizabeth checked the time on her phone, tilting her head to the side as she pondered her answer. After a moment's consideration, she replied, "three hours, give or take. I'll give you a call when it's over."

"Sounds good," Maxine chimed in, opening her arms expectantly. Elizabeth complied, strolling into the room and wrapping her arms around the smaller woman. As usual, her grandmother squeezed her tight. "Stay safe, okay?"

"I will," the young teen promised.

Once her grandmother let her go, Elizabeth gave her grandfather a hug as well.

"If it gets boring, you can always come home," he commented lightly, kissing her forehead as she pulled away. "There's always room for another in scrabble." Elizabeth grinned.

"I'll keep that in mind."

-----

"Are you excited, Jumbe?" Elizabeth asked as soon as they were out of the house.

The scorpion popped out of her jacket and claimed a seat on her shoulder, bobbing his head up and down. "Of course," he replied, "I've never been to a rock concert before. Or any concert for that matter."