16|| Home Free

Chloe Bourgeois was having a blast in London.

She got to go see all sorts of things, from the fanciest restaurants to the most expensive stores. Nothing was out of her reach.

Sure, it was a little lonely, but that was okay. If anything, it was a good thing. There was nobody to bother her if she was on her own.

Currently, the honey blonde was laying down on her bed in the five-star hotel room, browsing through her social media. She had refrained from posting too much about her trip here, opting to take pictures of buildings, clothes, and food instead of herself, figuring that it was the best thing to do. If she kept posting pictures of just herself people would realize that she was there all alone.

That would be very, very bad.

Chloe tapped her phone, pulling up Elizabeth's contact information. Her fingers hovered over her phone number, itching to call the girl.

She knew that Elizabeth was out doing something, but part of her believed that Elizabeth would keep in contact with her over the weekend, if only to check in. However, it was already noon on Sunday and there hadn't been a peep from her.

Well, it wouldn't hurt to try again would it?

Chloe gave in and tapped her phone, bringing it up to her ear. Her heart sank lower with every ring.

"You've reached Elizabeth Chase," the voicemail stated, "I seem to be unavailable right now, so please leave a message and I'll get back to you when I can."

Chloe was tempted to hang up at the resounding beep, but she couldn't bring herself to do it.

"Hey Lizzie, it's Chloe!" the girl spoke into the phone with false cheer. "Just calling to see how you are. I myself am having a blast in London. There's so much to see and do..."

Just like the day before, Chloe found herself babbling on about everything she did, telling the voicemail all about her day in hopes that the words would reach Elizabeth's ears. She trailed on and on, talking about the things she bought, where she was staying, and how nobody suspected a thing. She spoke for so long that she almost forgot that there was nobody listening on the other side.

Almost.

"...anyway, that's all I had to say. Take care wherever you are, I'll see you Monday."

With that, Chloe saved and sent the message, pulling the phone away from her ear and dropping it on her mattress. A heavy sigh escaped her lips.

It seemed like today was going to be no different than yesterday.

She supposed she couldn't complain. After all, she had agreed to this. Lizzie had come to her, trusted her out of everyone else she knew to help out. There was no way Chloe could refuse such a request, nor was their reason to be upset that Lizzie hadn't contacted her yet. She was probably really busy. Chloe would just have to wait and see her at school on Monday.

Chloe jumped off of her bed, walking over to the closet to pull out some fresh clothes. If she was spending an entire weekend here, she might as well make it worth her while. She looked over to shoulder to glance at the clock; it was already well past lunchtime. Chloe raised an eyebrow.

She must've slept in really late. Well, that or she'd been moping around much longer than she thought. Either way, the idea of spending an entire day in a hotel room was ridiculous. She was going to go out, and she was going to have fun.

About half an hour later and Chloe was ready to go. She wore a peach-colored summer dress paired nicely with light brown ankle boots. On a whim, she ditched her usual blue eyeshadow for a more neutral pink shade, which proved to be the right choice the second she saw herself in the mirror.