7|| Out of the Shadows

When the weekend came, Elizabeth decided that she'd take a break from patrolling and would instead spend some time focusing on the broken miraculous. Silver floated around, ready to help while Jumbe browsed through her computer.

Elizabeth had been thinking about the strange incidents that occurred when Stormy Weather was akumatized. She was well aware of the fact that she should've been hit by that bench and if she miraculously avoided that, she still would've been squished by the bus. Taking the incidents into consideration, she quickly noticed that both times involved metal items. Elizabeth knew for a fact that there was nothing that Silver or Jumbe could've done to protect her from the hits, which lead her to believe that somehow, the kwami in the necklace had caused it.

In order to test her theory, Elizabeth collected some metal objects, which was a rather simple task. So far, she had some paper clips, a metal ruler, and a wire mesh pencil cup holder. She also contemplated stealing some magnets from the refrigerator (she'd put them back when she was done, of course) just to see if they were affected as well. Her experiment was quite simple: she was going to drop the metal objects on the necklace and see what happened.

She left her kwamis in her room as she walked downstairs, intent on bringing up some food for the three of them since they were probably going to be in her room for a while. Reaching the first floor, she spotted her grandparents sitting at the dining room table, talking quietly between themselves while they ate breakfast. Elizabeth realized with some guilt that she never bothered to sit down with them to eat, spare dinner. She spent so much time with Silver and Jumbe and her secret projects that she often forgot that she wasn't alone anymore.

The young blonde hesitated, wondering if she should walk over and take a seat. Then she looked over to the refrigerator and saw the magnets she wanted right there. Elizabeth shook her head. She could talk with her grandparents later; she had more important things to do at the moment. Making up her mind, she grabbed what she needed and went back to her room.

"Let's do this!" Silver cheered as soon as she returned, excitedly fluttering around the room in a black and white blur. Jumbe spared the two a look before turning back to the computer screen. Elizabeth grinned, her guilt from isolating herself fading instantly, replaced with unbridled excitement. She set the food she grabbed—an assortment of fruit—on her table, right next to Jumbe. The scorpion looked over once more, grabbing a couple grapes and chewing on them.

"I hope this works," Elizabeth commented to her dearest friend, sinking to the floor right next to the necklace, "we'd finally have something we can go off of."

"I know!" Silver exclaimed, flying down to rest on Elizabeth's head. "Isn't it exciting?"

Elizabeth nodded and grabbed a paper clip. Without further ado, she held it up in the air and dropped it down on the necklace. Just as she hoped, something strange happened. Instead of hitting the jewelry, the clip swerved in mid-air, as if bouncing off of an invisible force field, and landed harmlessly a few centimeters away. On top of that, the clip was all twisted around, completely unusable now.

Elizabeth and Silver exchanged grins.

They repeated the experiment a couple more times, all with the same results as the first attempt. Any metal that got too close to the necklace was repelled and often bent out of shape. Elizabeth next tested what happened if the object was a magnet. She quickly learned that the magnet would not only deflect off the necklace like ordinary metal, but it also lost it's magnetic properties if it was placed close enough to the necklace.

Writing down her observations in a coded journal, Elizabeth began to speak. "It seems that this kwami most likely has metallic or magnetic related abilities," she concluded, briefly stopping to address Silver. "Do you think that the exertion of it's abilities is intentional or accidental?"