chapter five - mind games.

Dream and Tommy talked all night. Cracking jokes and saying stupid things. It got to the point where Tommy was laughing at himself because Dream got so fed up.

"You're not funny Tommy" Dream said jokingly.
"Shut up you dick, I'm funnier than you'll ever be" Tommy replied, clearly offended.
"Yeah right, id like to see you try" Dream snickered, knowing full well he was winding Tommy up.

When the night finally started to get cold, Dream thought it'd be best if he left: leaving Tommy some time to set up for the party.

By the time Dream had taken off, there wasn't long till dawn. Provoking Tommy to rush around trying his best to make everything look flawless.

After hours of scrambling around, Tommy finally settled down. He overlooked the sea before him to see the daylight gradually rising. He hadn't slept and he was, quite frankly, scared too.

The feeling of him missing out on his friends due to him sleeping upset him, so he attempted to stay wakeful.

Whilst staring at the ocean Tommy realised how silent it was and how solitary he was. No talking, no laughing. Only the sound of the birds and the ocean tides in the distance were there to keep him company. He had nobody, except for Dream.

Dream was the only one who would frequently come to visit him. Although Dream was the cause of his exile, Tommy had found a way to push the hatred aside. He could use a friend at this moment in time, and he appreciated his company.

-

Tommy woke up to shivers running down his back. The air had turned cold, it was darker than usual. He reluctantly rubbed the sand out of his eyes and stretched out his arms. Looking around recovering his conscious he thought back to what was happening.
"Fuck, " He muttered to himself. "I fucking fell asleep."

He instantly sat up, covered in sand. He bent down to flick off the grit stuck to his trousers. Tommy immediately went to hurry to his tent but noticed Dream sat by the fireplace,  conflicting sticks together, attempting to start a fire.

"Dream?" Tommy said concerned. Dream turned around eagerly, frightened by Tommy being so up close to him.
"Tommy, you're finally awake," He replied. "About time too,".

The sound in his voice was unsettling, but Tommy had chosen to ignore it.

Tommy had heard that tone in Dreams voice before. It was frequent when Dream was tired or irritated. Yet he didn't seem tired, and he had nothing to be angry about.

"Yeah..." Tommy proceeded, "where is everyone Dream? You said you'd bring them, " He said, anger hidden in his voice.

Dream glanced at him. His face was emotionless. It was a scary presence and Tommy despised it. He hoped to ease himself down, he didn't want to irritate the only friend he had left.

"They didn't want to come, Tommy, " He said, the tone in his voice made Tommy's heart plunge into his stomach.

He had never heard him speak like this before. It was so happy yet so dark and threatening. When Dream spoke it made Tommy feel like he was imprisoned in a room, a room where only Dream was in control.

"What?" Tommy replied. His eyes were opened wide, he resisted the fact he was rapidly squinting due to the wind soaking into them.

Dream cleared his throat and pointed his eyes towards Tommy.
"To be honest Tommy, I don't blame them," he mumbled. It was obvious he was smirking. The alteration in his voice clarified it all.

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean dickhead?" Tommy screeched in his basic childish attitude. Dream snickered at him and turned his eyes back to the camp-fire. Without hesitation, Tommy stepped in front of him desperate to receive answers.
"What do you want me to say? Dream said angrily. "I tried Tommy I swear, but nobody wants to see you".

Tommy backed down and decided to settle next to dream. His elbows were resting against his knees and his head was sat in his hands.

Tommy mumbled to himself causing Dream to look over at him.
"Guess I've fucked up big time then, haven't I?" Tommy asked. Dream reluctantly nodded before looking away from Tommy, who's heart had now been crushed.

"Hey, " Dream began, standing up and putting his hand on Tommy's shoulder. "it's okay you know, you've got me." Dream said. His voice
was reassuring yet discouraging. "I'm your friend." he continued. Tommy looked back up at him as if to say, thank you.

"I guess I just, " Tommy let out before taking a deep breath, "I guess I just thought everyone would still want to see me, ".

Tommy expected Dream to say something but he received nothing. Dream just stood there in silence with nothing to say.

"Dream-?" Tommy went to ask before getting rudely interrupted.
"Stop talking Tommy."
Tommy's eyes widened, scared of Dream being so scarily angry all of a sudden.
"You complain about everyone not wanting to see you, yet you never fucking shut up" Dream continued.

Tommy sat there in silence. Now overthinking if that's what Tubbo felt. Was he too disturbing? He knew he spoke too much and he was certainly noisy but... was it worth getting exiled?

"You're right, " Tommy conceded. Dream looked upon him and chuckled.
"I know I am Tommy, that's what friends are for".

Tommy still didn't know if he could trust Dream as his friend. But he seemed to be the only person who was willingly open and honest towards him. Dream didn't care about hurting his feelings, and maybe he needed a little integrity. After getting deceived by his best friend Tommy could truly trust no-one, so what was the harm in having Dream as his friend?

"I understand how you feel Tommy-" Dream explained before getting stopped by an irritated Tommy.
"No you don't, how would you ever understand how I'm feeling," Tommy shouted at him.

"Okay, okay fine. I don't know how you're feeling. But you've got to understand that this is what's best. Tubbo needed you gone so he could work on L'manberg, and now he's free to do whatever he likes without your childish attitude being in the way. You prevented Tubbo from doing amazing things Tommy, this is your punishment." Dream replied.

Tommy went to shout back at him, but he knew it wasn't worth it. Dream was right, he did tend to get in Tubbos way even when he was told to back off. Everything that happened was Tommy's fault, and it'll continue to be.

"Im sorry Dream" Tommy gave in.
"What?" Dream replied.

Dream was surprised he got an apology out of him. Tommy rarely said sorry, and if he did it was only towards Tubbo.

"I'm sorry that you're forced to visit me every day, " Tommy explained. "You shouldn't have to waste your time on me."
"I don't waste my time on you, you need to be supervised either way" Dream replied.

"What?" Tommy said. "What do you mean supervised?".
Dream cleared his throat. "To make sure you're not doing anything stupid"
"So..." Tommy said. "You're not here to be my friend? You're not here because you want to be?"

Tommy realised earlier on he had fucked up. But if even Dream was told to regulate him, then he must've been worse than he expected himself to be.

"I would be here regardless Tommy, even if it is just to watch over you"
Tommy had felt worse today than he had ever felt in his life.