5.

KULSUM'S POV.

After the game with Zayn, I was left alone in my room again. I had a great time with him. I didn't say much to him but I enjoyed watching him rant about his friends and his school. At times I spaced out but he didn't say a word about it knowing I can't take another person prodding into my life like that. I've had enough for one day.

He understood that, and gave me the space I needed. I'd always known that my younger brother was smarter than kids his age.

Eventually, I grew bored of staying in the room alone. I wanted to get some fresh air—which I do a lot by the way. I enjoyed going to my mother's garden and sitting on the swing my siblings and I used to play on when we were kids. Surprisingly, that was one of the places that helped me calm down most times.

I pulled up the hood of my hoodie as I closed the door to my room behind me. I started walking towards the steps, taking my time as I did that. I was in no rush.

As I passed by my father's study, I heard voices coming from there. I didn't care about that though. Eavesdropping is the last thing I do. But, when I heard my name pop out I couldn't stay away. No matter how much I didn't care about eavesdropping, I always stick around whenever I hear my name.

And this time I knew who mentioned it. My mother.

Stopping in my tracks, I focused on the voices to hear what they're saying.

"You can't be serious about this!" My mother exclaimed sounding frustrated, angry, and many more emotions I couldn't decipher but her voice said it all.

"I am. You know there's nothing I can do about it" My dad's voice came. Except while mother's voice had all that emotions, he sounded like he was tired of talking about whatever issue it is at hand.

I heard my mother sigh in disbelief, "There's nothing you can do? You mean to tell me that there's nothing you can do about this?"

"Yes"

"Oh please! Just reject the offer!" My mother suggested, her voice coming out higher than earlier.

"And risk hurting Sabrina?" He asked referring to my sister.

"Oh so you'd rather hurt Kulsum instead? You'd rather hurt my daughter that's already going through hell?" I can imagine my mother standing hands akimbo as she said that. My heart felt somehow as she uttered those words. I always knew that my mother had my back, she had always been the one most worried about me.

I couldn't hear it but I knew my father sighed at her statement, "Of course not. Kulsum is my daughter too but would you rather lose the only daughter we have left that hasn't lost herself. The daughter that's still in her right sense of mind"

Ouch. That should hurt.

But, it doesn't. I'm used to this by now. I dealt with it when I'm most vulnerable. Now, it doesn't do anything to me.

My father must've realized what he said because he quickly spoke up again, "that's not what I meant—"

"No" I wasn't seeing this but knowing my mother, she must've raised her hand up to stop him, "It is what you've always wanted to say that you finally got off your chest"

"It's not like that—"

"Then what is it exactly? You've always cared most about your reputation more than your own child. Instead of supporting her all the way you decided to cut her off in public. You cut off every relation you have with her outside the walls of this house and you dare tell me she's your daughter" my mother raised her voice up louder than she must've intended it to be.