17.

KULSUM'S POV.

I didn't know what to feel about this. There's just so many emotions running in my head. But like always, one is prominent. Fear? Yes.

I looked up as I swiveled my head around to see anyone that looks suspicious. I just need something...anything. But then again like always, there is nothing out of the ordinary, no one looks suspicious.

That left me with one suspect. Laura.

However, I don't know why but I had a feeling that she wasn't the one that left me this. Why? I have absolutely no idea. It's just this gut feeling.

I don't even know who is the one sending me all these, I don't know why, and in summary, this whole thing is messed up. It's making the wheels in my head spin in directions it's not supposed to go, and it's frustrating to say the least.

I gulped thickly and shoved the envelope into the pocket of my hoodie. And, with my head down, I all but sprinted to my room. I didn't pay any heed to the people that stared at me wondering if I'm in my right senses. Then again, anyone who's here—aside from the workers that is, is not in his or her right sense. If not, we wouldn't be here.

I closed the door behind me, I wanted to put the lock but I couldn't. I had no key in my possession, none of us do. I think they're afraid that if they let us have the keys, we might close the room deadbolt and commit suicide. Even I would've done that when I first got here so it's a point for them.

I shooed that thought away and headed straight to the bedside cabinet where I placed the other letter I got here. I pulled the cabinet open and picked it out. My brows furrowed as I realized that both were white envelopes. There's no difference when it came to that. So, it could both be from the same person.

However, what the envelopes hold—it's content is what makes the two a huge contrast to each other.

While the first letter gave me a sense of hope.

The second one is shredding that hope to pieces-as always.

So, no, the envelopes aren't from the same person.

But, if so then who is the second person? Wait...I don't even know who the first person is.

I released a sigh of frustration as I dumped both letter in the cabinet and closed it shut. I sat on the cold floor and held my head between my hands. My head hurts from all this mystery. My life is already messed up as it is and this is just adding to the problem.

As much as I'd deny this, I missed my life. I missed how my old life used to be. I missed how happy I was. I had everything—I had that happiness we all yearn for.

Happiness...

"See! I told you this will work out" Salma exclaimed as she placed the card in front of me with a huge smile plastered on her face. It was so contagious, I had to laugh along with her. I was just as happy as she was, maybe even more.

Definitely more.

"I hate to say this, but you're right" I chuckled as I trailed my hand over the card in front of me, a wide smile dancing on my lips.

She scoffed and fell back on my bed, "Well duh! When have I ever been wrong?" she said pushing back the strands of her Fulani hair which fell out of her ponytail.

"Like...all the time" I stated making her swat my arm—hard.

I glared at her playfully as I held my arm that she swatted, "You're mean"