Prologue

~Updated on October 9th 2023~

The Seventh Hokage, Naruto Uzumaki, breathed a sigh of relief, a sense of accomplishment washing over him, his azure eyes gazing up at the ceiling. After a grueling and lengthy process of assembling the new generation of three-man squads, he felt a weight lift from his shoulders.

With a tired expression, Naruto spoke, his voice carrying the weight of experience, "Without a doubt, this year's squad formation has proven to be more challenging than those of previous years." His dark blue eyes shifted, landing on Shikamaru Nara, his trusted advisor. "It's been interesting to see the sheer potential in these young shinobi, many of them capable of leading their teams independently. But it's no surprise, considering that they were all raised by the very heroes of the Fourth Great Shinobi War," he continued, passing a carefully prepared file to Shikamaru, whose strategic mind has played a crucial role in shaping the newfound peace in the Hidden Leaf Village.

Shikamaru's skilled hands closed around the file, and he immediately sensed the subtle increase in weight compared to the previous year. As he perused the contents, his sharp mind quickly absorbed the intricacies of the new squad formations, finding them well-structured and promising.
He nodded in agreement with the observations he had gleaned from the documents before closing the file. "You're right, Lord Seventh," Shikamaru replied, "Assigning some of them earlier might have made things easier."

"But... it would've been unnecessary given how peaceful these times have been." He responded. The two of them understood the delicate balance they needed to maintain in times of peace, ensuring that the new generation was ready for whatever challenges lay ahead, even if it meant facing a more challenging process of squad formation.

Shikamaru's brow furrowed, and he released an exasperated sigh, the weight of his thoughts pressing upon him. "If my memory serves me right," he began, annoyance etched into his words, "three of those young graduates demonstrated an exceptional pace in their training, and it could have been four if one of them didn't find the process to be a drag."
Naruto's laughter, like a soothing breeze, filled the room. "Don't be too hard on her, Shikamaru," he remarked, carrying a less professional tone to it . "It's not your daughter's fault that she hails from a long line of shinobi who tend to find many things in life a chore. In the end, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree." With a slight movement, Naruto rose from his chair, and he turned his gaze toward the window. The sweeping view of the village, forged through the collective efforts of the villagers and their leader, met his eyes. A warm, contented smile graced his lips as he contemplated the thriving community below. "Ultimately, it's clear that each of these young shinobi was destined to form teams with their peers, carrying on the legacy of the Hidden Leaf Village."

As Shikamaru nodded, he couldn't deny the evident lack of motivation in his daughter's case. Yet, with that matter set aside, a question had been weighing on his mind, and he could no longer contain it. "Who have you selected as the captain for Team 7?"

Naruto's expression grew serious as he contemplated the significance of his decision. "I had initially considered Sasuke Uchiha for the role of Team 7's leader," he admitted, "but with the current S-rank mission entrusted to Sasuke, it's not only a challenge for him to guide a team of Genin but also a risk to the progress we've made on that mission. We can't afford to jeopardize the peace we've all fought so hard to maintain." Naruto turned to face Shikamaru, his eyes locked onto his friend. "So, I've decided to appoint Konohamaru Sarutobi as the leader of Team 7."

Shikamaru's thoughts echoed with a deep sense of agreement. "Konohamaru Sarutobi, it's the right choice," he mused to himself. "After all, who better to lead them than his own pupil? Even if it means the next Ino-Shika-Cho squad won't be led by a member of the Sarutobi clan." The memory of his late sensei, Asuma Sarutobi, briefly crossed his mind.

Naruto's reassuring words broke through Shikamaru's contemplation. A smile touched his lips as Naruto placed a hand on his shoulder. "Don't worry, Shikamaru," Naruto reassured him. "I've taken the traditions of the noble clans into account. That's why Ichigo Sarutobi will be entrusted with guiding Team Ino-Shika-Cho."

Shikamaru's eyes widened in response to the Hokage's words. "Ichigo Sarutobi? Isn't he one of the most skilled shinobi from the Anbu Black Ops? One of your own personal bodyguards?"

Naruto nodded, confirming Shikamaru's observation. "Exactly. It's because of his exceptional skills and his deep understanding of teamwork that I've chosen him to lead Team Ino-Shika-Cho. Ichigo is the only shinobi capable of unlocking the true potential of that formation."

Naruto then handed over a new set of data profiles to Shikamaru. "I want to convene a meeting with each team leader I've entrusted these children to as soon as possible, before their formal introduction. It's crucial that we ensure they are all well-prepared for their responsibilities."

Shikamaru nodded as he accepted the data profiles. "I'll have them assembled in the Hokage's conference room in ten minutes," he confirmed, then excused himself from Naruto's office.

Alone in the office, Naruto turned his attention to the open window, where a distinctive eagle soared toward him. He recognized the bird, a messenger only known to him. With practiced ease, he retrieved the hidden note attached to the eagle's leg and carefully unfolded it to read its contents.

Naruto carefully read the message, his expression growing more serious as he absorbed the implications. The letter started to burn, disintegrating into ashes before his eyes, leaving no trace of its contents.

As he watched the paper vanish, Naruto couldn't hide the strain in his face. He clutched his chest, coughing up blood into his artificial hand. His thoughts turned inward as he contemplated the information he had just received. "I hope we can preserve this fragile peace in the shinobi world for a while longer," he reflected, a sense of exhaustion evident in his mental words. "I don't think I have the strength to endure another all-out war. It's been 15 years since the last war, and the aftermath still plagues me with health problems."

Flashbacks of a conversation with Sakura, who had warned him about his health issues, flooded his mind. He vividly remembered pleading with her to keep it a secret from everyone, including his beloved wife Hinata and their children.

Deep within Naruto's thoughts, he and Kurama engaged in a silent conversation. Kurama's voice reverberated in his mind, filled with concern. "I really hope that Sakura discovers a means to mend your health swiftly, or else..." Kurama trailed off, an unspoken fear hanging in the air.

Naruto's mental response was thoughtful, tinged with an undercurrent of anxiety. "Indeed, Kurama. Should her efforts to find a cure fail, we may face the next problem at hand... seeking our next Jinchuriki. But for now, our focus must remain on the pressing matters at hand. We cannot afford to waste time, especially since we have to go to the meeting with the team leaders of the new generation. The village's future hinges on our actions."

In the depths of their unique connection, Kurama offered a final piece of advice. "Very well, Naruto... just ensure you don't push yourself too far." The surprising reality was that the entity once seen as a malevolent force harbored a deep and unexpected fondness for the human he had once despised. Life had indeed taken some remarkable twists, and it showed no signs of slowing down.

Naruto, with a wry, sarcastic grin, quipped back, "When have I ever done such a thing?" His old, endearing nervous smile, a reminder of his mischievous youth, played on his lips as he retrieved his Hokage hat. With determination in his step, he left his office and made his way to the conference room, where those who embodied the unyielding Will of Fire stood ready to ignite the flames of inspiration in the hearts of the new generation of shinobi.

Hey guys! I hope you guys enjoyed this prologue so far! but before you continue there's a few things I would like to point out. This is an alternate universe, there might be characters that I created and integrated into the story as well as characters that I've decided to change a little bit to make the story a little bit more interesting. Now, this story doesn't really relate to Boruto: Next Generation in any shape or form but it does have a lot of characters from it.

Consider this story as my infinite tsukuyomi and also a tribute to the creator Of Naruto, Naruto Shippuden and Boruto: Next Generation a.k.a Masashi Kishimoto.