Chapter 9: A Distant Future

The village reverberated with the thunderous explosions and the cacophony of metal colliding with metal, creating a symphony of chaos. The anguished cries of the villagers pierced the air, their voices blending with the crimson rivers flowing through the streets.

The era of tranquility that Naruto and the Allied Shinobi Force had fought tirelessly to establish and uphold had now crumbled into dust.

Had all our efforts to salvage this world been futile? Did the sacrifices of those who came before us amount to nothing?

"Hurry! We must ensure the safety of the villagers and escort them to the medical corps!" a young woman urged her fellow shinobi, turning to address one of her teammates

"Hurry! We must ensure the safety of the villagers and escort them to the medical corps!" a young woman urged her fellow shinobi, turning to address one of her teammates. "Inoue, any word from headquarters regarding the Hokage's whereabouts?"

"Not yet. It seems they haven't been able to locate him," Inoue replied.

Shikaze's eyes moved around the horrific scenery, flashbacks of its former glory came to mind but now it was tainted by pain and suffering of the villagers she has sworn to protect

Shikaze's eyes moved around the horrific scenery, flashbacks of its former glory came to mind but now it was tainted by pain and suffering of the villagers she has sworn to protect. -This is dire. Even Inoue and the Sensory Division are unable to track the Hokage with their heightened senses, and there are no members of the Hyūga clan present in the village. This situation is becoming a real drag,- she pondered to herself.

"Shikaze, we've successfully rescued all the wounded villagers in this area, and they are currently being transported to the medical corps," a muscular young man reported.

"Excellent work, Chorui!" Shikaze commended.

"HQ urgently requests our assistance at the northern part of the village. Their sensory division detected a significant chakra presence at the Hokage mansion," Inoue informed Shikaze and Chorui.

"How could they have breached our defenses without detection?" Shikaze exclaimed, disbelief etched on his face.

"That is irrelevant at the moment, Shikaze! We must safeguard what remains of the village," Chorui asserted.

"You're right. We must neutralize the threat before they inflict further damage upon the village," Inoue declared.

The three of them exchanged determined nods before sprinting towards the Hokage Mansion.

Lord Seventh, guide us through this darkness and lead us towards the light you once made a path for us.

On the northern outskirts of the village, a battered man painstakingly ascended the steps of the Hokage Mansion

On the northern outskirts of the village, a battered man painstakingly ascended the steps of the Hokage Mansion. His body ached with every movement, blood dripping down his arms. At the top of the mansion, a figure draped in a mysterious black cloak observing the chaos unfolding below. His piercing gaze surveyed the destruction, his presence exuding an air of calculated detachment.

It's been so long since we've last seen one another. At last... we reunite with one another for one last time... old friend.

With each agonising step, the wounded man persisted, his voice trembling as he called out, "Itachi..." His body weakened, but his determination remained unwavering, propelling him closer.

"My mother once imparted wisdom to me, teaching me that the most valuable lessons cannot be found within the pages of books. They must be experienced firsthand, through the trials and tribulations of life. And she was right..." Itachi's crimson eyes remained fixed on the chaotic scene before him, where shinobi clashed in a never-ending battle. "This wretched world has only shown me the tears of the weak and the despair of the strong, consumed by their insatiable thirst for power. It has shattered the peace that our predecessors worked so hard to build, severing the bonds that once united us."

"Please, Itachi, you must bring an end to this..." The injured man's plea was abruptly silenced as he sensed the suffocating aura emanating from Itachi, the moment he begged for his assistance.

"But why should I continue fighting for what is right? After all... I am the villain in the eyes of everyone." Itachi's voice was laced with cold detachment as his gaze shifted from the battling shinobi. "Isn't that true, Kenzo?"

"You're not the villain in everyone's eyes!" Despite his words, the man began coughing up blood.

"Y-you were never the villain in my eyes, nor in the eyes of your parents."

"Don't you dare speak of them!" Enraged by his words, Itachi unleashed a lightning spear that pierced through Kenzo's shoulder, causing him to cough up even more blood.

Chidori Sharp Spear.

Collapsing to his knees, Kenzo mustered the strength to look up, his eyes meeting the once-warm gaze that now held only coldness. "Please, open your eyes... This isn't who you are, Itachi."

Itachi approached slowly, drawing his katana. "You should have believed in me." He raised his katana high into the air.

-Perhaps it was a mistake on my part to apologise to the innocent, only to push them further into their guilt. But I had to try... I had to set aside his feelings one last time for the sake of the village.

In the end, I am just as culpable as those who pointed their fingers at him. I am guilty of fueling the hatred within his heart, once again. Perhaps I truly deserve death after all.-

With a mighty force, Itachi's katana began its descent.

Kenzo smiled fearlessly, his eyes closed, accepting the fate that Itachi had chosen for him. -At the very least... my life will be taken by the one whose life I destroyed. The one I still dare to call my best friend.-