Chapter 15

A/N: the heist is finally here! I will be posting part one today and part two tomorrow! :) 

It was Sunday, May 28th - the day of the heist. The deadline was finally upon them and Clyde felt so nauseous about it all that he felt like he could throw up right then and there. He wanted to reach out to you, to hold you, to talk to you. Use you as his grounding force. But it was Sunday and you weren't working and he had a job to do.

The plan was simple enough (all things considered), and both Joe Bang and Jimmy had assured Clyde left, right, upside down and sideways that everything was set to go as it needed to. While Joe Bang was less than trustworthy, Clyde believed in his brother and this crazy vision of his. This didn't do anything for Clyde's anxiety, though. No, there was only one cure for that, and she was probably at home reading a book or sleeping in.

As he got up that morning, thinking about everything that needed to get done, Clyde thought about you. Not only to calm himself, as the image of you often helped him in moments where he felt out of control, but also to wonder how things would blow over afterwards.

Clyde was sure you'd hear about the planned riot and lockdown on the late night news or be contacted about it simply because you worked for Monroe's correctional facility. He was also sure the fire that was supposed to serve as a distraction would also reach you.

Clyde didn't want you to worry about him (and he was sure you'd at least be somewhat concerned when you heard about the lockdown and fire). He wished he could be honest with you and tell you all his secrets - every little plan and passing thought - whisper into your hair that everything would be alright as he looped his arms around you and held you close. But, that wasn't the way things were fated to go, and right now he had to think about getting ready and steeling himself against what was more than likely to be one of the most stressful days of his life.

***

After getting himself ready and daydreaming a little about you once he had come back from his breakfast, Clyde was feeling more prepared. He honestly didn't think he'd ever be ready - I mean, who ever felt confident and put together enough to pull off a harebrained scheme like Jimmy had thought up? - but Clyde at least felt more like himself and less like a walking bundle of nerves about to explode at any second.

Clyde took a few calming breaths before he set off towards the infirmary to start off his janitorial shift. Joe Bang would be making an appearance soon, once he convinced the guards on duty he was sick enough to be sent to the prison clinic.

Clyde didn't want to think about what that weasel had up his sleeve to pull that off, but he was thankful when he saw the peroxide-bleached head of Joe Bang appear through a door as he was led into the small area and escorted to a bed. Clyde let out a quiet snort of laughter at that. He never would have believed he'd be relieved to see Joe Bang appear anywhere.

As Clyde moseyed around and tried to extend his duties for as long as possible, he finally heard his cue as he lingered outside of the room Bang had been set up in. Joe Bang was talking to the head nurse about using the restroom.

Clyde peeped his head in and interrupted as politely as he could, "Nurse? I can take him. I'm finished moppin' the floors in here."

The nurse shot him a doubtful look before agreeing, "Okay. But take it slow. He falls and hits his head, it's on you."

"Yes, ma'am," Clyde answered, before setting down his cleaning supplies and making his way over to Joe Bang. Clyde assisted Bang in getting up, even though he didn't need it, for appearances sake just in case the nurse were to pass by again .

Once Joe Bang was up and situated, Clyde followed him with his mop bucket and mop a close distance behind until they made it to the bathroom. Bang muttered something about needing help in the bathroom and Clyde nodded, following him in after doing a quick search of his surroundings. No one in sight.