Chapter 32

Your POV:

You'd noticed Clyde's brother in the back and suspected something was going on that you weren't privy to when they looked less than pleased to see each other. Had something happened recently? You couldn't remember Clyde mentioning too much of his brother lately, but surely they had gotten along in the past, right?

After all, Clyde usually talked about him kindly so it must have been something more recent. Before you could ask, Clyde was already shuffling away from you, saying he'd be right back as he made his way over to his brother.

You gave him a reassuring smile in response. Whatever it was, it wasn't going to get the two of you down.

***

So far, Clyde's family had been more than welcoming and you could already see yourself becoming fast friends with Mellie. You chided yourself for being so nervous, but your family experiences had always been so different. It was a welcome change of pace, for sure.

You kept an eye on your big bear as he talked to his brother, who you now remembered was named Jimmy. It looked like they were discussing something serious- but then again, Clyde always seemed to look slightly annoyed and pouty as his default.

The conversation took longer than you thought it would and you found yourself more and more distracted as you peeked over, noting Clyde's defensive-looking stance. He looked stressed - should you be going over there? Maybe to pretend you needed something from him and ease the tension?

You decided against it, hoping that if Clyde needed you that he would reach out. You turned your attention back to Mellie and the rest of the family, doing your best to tune back in and stop being such a worrywart.

***

By the time Clyde made it back to you, he was smiling and laughing again, as if nothing had happened. Clyde looked visibly less stressed and was walking your way with the mysterious Jimmy in tow who sported a wide grin himself.

Whatever had trespassed between them appeared to have been resolved, the two brothers looking more like what you'd imagined from all of Clyde's stories back when you first started dating. Clyde's childhood tales had always featured a Jimmy who didn't take much seriously but was loyal to the bone despite being a total goofball.

You could see that now as Jimmy enthusiastically introduced himself, making some vague excuse as to why he needed to pull Clyde away in the first place. You nodded along and smiled, checking in again on Clyde before letting any lingering worries slip from you.

Clyde looked relaxed and happy, which meant there was nothing to worry about - everything was good.

***

The rest of the time with the Logan clan was fun, full of good food and endless stories, easy laughter and friendly smiles. You were all huddled up around an impromptu bonfire now, in small clusters as you talked and joked.

You and Clyde were sitting next to Mellie, where she was doing what all good sisters do, swapping childhood stories with her brother's girlfriend. Over the years, Mellie seemed to have carefully selected her favorite embarrassing tidbits about Clyde, collecting and curating them as if for this exact moment.

She had you your full attention, even as Clyde grumbled and growled and the tips of his ears got progressively more and more pink. You evened out his discomfort by willingly sharing stories of your own, though you had to admit, you'd never been as much of a nudist as Clyde apparently had been in his youth.

When Mellie finally took a small break to refresh her drink, you couldn't resist turning to Clyde and teasing him. "Any chance we can bring that lifestyle back?"