Chapter 23

Your POV:

The next day at work you felt giddy to see Clyde. It felt like something had shifted between you two, just as you had hoped for - even if it wasn't quite the shift you had been expecting. A step forward was a step forward, and you still had time to angle everything how you wanted it. Sooner or later you were going to crack Clyde's shell and get what you needed (and what you knew he needed too, except he was too selfless to ask for it).

You knew he was just trying to be overly cautious - the good gentleman you knew him to be - but you were tired of playing it safe. You'd been playing it safe your whole life. Didn't you deserve a little excitement? A little danger? To game the system a little? God, you sounded like a teenager again.

But that's what Clyde did to you. Made you bubbly and nervous in that good butterflies-in-your-stomach way and made you want to throw everything out the window when it came to being with him.

He made you feel more alive than you had felt in months of living here. This quiet town was just what you'd wished for when you moved down, but you missed the excitement of the city and being with Clyde gave you that rush that you hadn't even realized you missed.

You were swept up in your thoughts and the warmth you felt every time you thought about your sweet bear when a familiar voice jerked you back to reality. Paul? What was he doing here?

"Hey, sis. Long time no see," he started, giving the library a sweeping glance as you looked at him wearily.

He never came to visit you - not once had he stepped foot in the library since you started working here. Was something wrong? Was he in trouble? Shit - you'd been more relaxed about meeting with him since your big fight and since Clyde came into the picture. What if he needed you and you'd been ignoring him? Oh, god-

"Wondering why I'm here, huh?" he continued, stepping towards you.

"You could say that," you answered, turning to him in your seat.

The library was empty so he could say whatever he wanted without having to be too worried about someone overhearing. The last thing you expected today was a visit from him.

Whatever he had to say had to be important and you weren't sure you were ready to be lectured to by your little brother. Especially not about your lack of visits lately when he made it more than clear that he didn't care about coming to see you.

Your annoyance with the surprise visit only escalated when he sat down next to you, leaning in to hiss, "Nothing too bad - just trying to figure out when my sister decided to become such a fucking whore ."

Your mouth fell open in shock, head jerking backwards a bit at the accusation. "Excuse me?"

"You're not excused," Paul bit back, anger flashing in his eyes as he dug in his pockets for something, placing the very polaroid you had given Clyde just two short days ago on the desk. You snatched it up, cheeks burning as you floundered for words.

"Where did you get this? Who gave it to you?"

"No one gave it to me. It fell out of some big dude's pocket when he got into a fight. Picked it up thinking it would be something worth trading later on - didn't know I'd find a fucking picture of my sister practically naked instead."

Your heart hammered in your chest, tucking away the photograph in your pocket as you tried to find the words to answer your brother. But there were none. You'd been caught, and you were damn lucky that it was Paul who had found this picture and not someone else. And what fight? Was Clyde okay?

"Tell me about the fight," you finally answered, trying to stall to give you time to figure out how to best approach the situation.

"Tell me why someone has this picture of you," Paul retorted. Of course . Nothing could be easy with him. After all he had done - to you, your family, friends - he was still the same old Paul. Granted, this was pretty serious. But you didn't want to think about that. Not now.