Chapter 06 ~ Long Time Working

"Here you go," the man making the delivery from Telly's spoke, handing over the large cloth bag to Riddian.

"Keep the change," Riddian mumbled, handing him money before promptly shutting his office door in the man's face.

I stopped checking off our to-do-list on the business tablet I was holding and watched him turn towards me.

"Really?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"They could have a faster delivery service if you asked me," he quickly remarked, pulling the bag open and looking in as if to check its contents, "We've been waiting for over twenty minutes..."

My eyebrows furrowed as I recalled what had really happened, not remembering the story that way.

"I'm not sure it's the delivery guy's fault you couldn't decide on what to eat until we got here half an hour ago."

Riddian's eyes narrowed at me.

"You know I don't remember asking you."

"Says the man who constantly expects me to do without being told," I countered almost immediately, a smug smile on my face.

His mouth turned up in distaste at my response. I had to hold a laugh when he grumbled something under his breath and hurried over to where I was seated.

The scent of the stewed chicken and rice that I had ordered filled my nostrils as he walked pass my seat. My stomach was grumbling so much, I didn't even waste another second in grabbing my box when Riddian placed it before me on the coffee table. I also paid him no mind as he watched me start devouring the contents while he made his own seat on the large rug which ran under the couch set itself, his back being against the couch next to mine.

This had become the practice between us ever since we started on overtime together.

This couch, the longest one, was where I worked in the early mornings and late nights since it was easier to communicate with Riddian from there than moving from my desk to the office. Shockingly, Riddian was not the worst company and motivation to work, especially since I never had to fight him for my couch of preference with him preferring the rug to the couches anyway.

I could understand that. It was soft to the touch and cleaned every day, so why not?

After a few minutes of eating, I couldn't help chuckling lightly. Riddian seemed to have a debate in his head as he looked from his food to me, a couple times, before finally keeping his stare on me.

"What?" he eventually asked, slowly.

I smiled at him and sighed.

"Nothing... I just remembered why I was so afraid of you now," I spoke, his interaction with the delivery man replaying in my head.

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion at first, but then he was curious as he said, "I have some sort of idea already but.... why was that?" over the straw of his cup.

I took another bite to eat.

"That face of yours-"

Immediately, Riddian started coughing and I had to reach down to pat his back. He quickly raised a hand to stop me and I returned to my seat slowly since I had to make sure he was really okay and would not die by my words... I thought again when he narrowed his eyes at me after catching his breath, the cough having died down.

"What do you mean this face of mine?" he asked, clearly offended. I rolled my eyes.

"You never really used to save a pretty one for me, remember? You used to always glare at me as if my mere presence annoyed you." I replied as if it was obvious.