Chapter 11 ~ Lest We Forget (Part II)

I remembered it clear as day, even though I had been so young. The grade above me was performing 'Romeo and Juliet' and I wanted to see it so badly. I had been afraid to ask mom and dad if we could go earlier because they were normally quite busy but I always backed out... until the night of the play.

Dad had been very firm in his own loving way on why we couldn't go. I had asked too late and they had work, the school's auditorium would be filled with the families of the actual cast... but I didn't care. I just wanted to see the play. Well, mom always had a soft spot for her children so she found a way to get us some seats and brought me there herself.

"...she brought me against his wishes...she didn't make it back home."

Unsurprisingly, Riddian didn't do much in response to my words, except for nodding slightly. Surprisingly, that seemed to help me a little. It was better than him saying that it wasn't my fault. I did believe that everything happened for a reason and deep down I knew it wasn't my fault but, I still couldn't help thinking.

"The truth is... I didn't have all that much growing up. My family; my mom, dad, Grayson and I, were comfortable though, but only because both my parents worked long hours and different jobs to keep it that way," I didn't turn to see his reaction. Even though I knew he wouldn't judge me in any way, I just couldn't face him right then. "When my mom passed, all the responsibility of provision went to my dad, so my brother stepped up to the plate as well and got a job to help out. I was in high school at that point, and he was in college... until he couldn't be in college anymore since he couldn't afford it and wanted me to at least graduate high school.

"We've never been close with our extended families so we didn't dare ask them for help, and Grayson and I were good in school, but not good enough to get scholarships so... eventually, the funds went down and we were losing everything."

I sighed and rubbed my arms, not wanting to face my past but having no choice anymore. I had been running from it for too long anyway.

"We all tried to keep a happy face but then it became too much. Grayson felt pressured with everything that was going on and I honestly don't blame him. He had taken on a responsibility that no kid should have to take on. He was sacrificing his future for mine... and dad was... well we barely saw him anymore. For some reason he just couldn't get a good job so he had to stick to low paying ones.

"Then the arguments started and that was where we grew apart even more. Dad and Gray would fight almost all the time because... well, Grayson often thought we... blamed him for many of the troubles we faced since he was the older one and he would sometimes not bring in the money we needed for bills and other necessities. Of course that wasn't true because without him... I don't know how-"

I stopped speaking as the words lodged in my throat and tears built in my eyes again.

Gosh! Why was I being like this!

I shook off the emotions and finally turned back to Riddian. He wasn't looking at me, only at the lawn before us as he listened.

I continued, slowly and softly, as I kept my eyes on him, "his breaking point was when we lost our house and we had to move in with the neighbours... the Taylors."

Riddian was suddenly looking at me.

"Jacob and his family?" he asked with a disapproving countenance.

"Yes, Jake and his family," I rolled my eyes playfully at him. He seemed to forget we were having a serious conversation here. "However," I continued with a sad smile, "after a few weeks, while I was in my senior year and five years ago, Gray had had enough and left... today is the first time we're seeing him after all that, so I guess hearing that it was because he came back why dad was hurt... I just got really angry at him for abandoning us to come back and cause this."