Chapter 09 ~ Long Time No See

"Ms. Harrington, what's wrong?"

I couldn't even think to respond to Riddian's question as I hurriedly grabbed the phone I had dropped onto the mat beneath us and slammed it back to my ear.

"Jake? What did you just say?"

"Katherine- I am- if- but- please!"

"What! What are you saying? I-"

I quickly moved the phone from my ears, my heart racing in my chest as my thoughts created a muck in my head. Putting it on speaker, I could finally hear Jake calling my name as Riddian created space between us.

"Just tell me what happened!" I snapped, unable to hold my composure as the word 'stroke' ran through my head repetitively.

"I heard that Grayson came to visit and met up with him. He was concerned about you and begged me to tell him where your new place was... and I did. He went there to visit you but he found your father instead and they got into an argument but now your dad is in the hospital-"

"Which one?" My voice didn't even sound like my own now as I moved towards the door, anger, worry and many more emotions running rampage in my head.

"Galwin's General. But Kat, you won't be able to see-"

My finger swiped the call off and then my hands went to my forehead as I tried to calm myself. I turned back to Riddian.

"Riddian-"

"I heard everything, I'm sorry," he interrupted me. For a minute my emotions numbed when I saw the concern on his face. "You have to go, and I understand that, but you won't be able to see your father since it's after visiting hours."

My emotions went out of control again and suddenly I was taking a step away from him.

"I have to see him Riddian."

Noticing my movement and most likely facial expression of anger, though not directed at him, Riddian took another step towards me and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Ms. Harrington, they won't be able to let you in-"

"Well then I'll make them be able to!"

Riddian shuffled on his spot at my outburst, looking away from me and then running a hand through his hair. I so badly wanted to do the same but I had pinned my hair up so that was out of the question. Instead, I squeezed the phone in my hand and shook my head.

"I'm sorry Riddian, it's just that... I don't know what to think right now. I can't believe this is happening. I don't..." I held my chest, hoping not to panic, but I couldn't think and I could hardly breathe. I could barely even see through the tears which began forming in my eyes-

"Ms. Harrington," for a second his grip on my shoulder got just a bit tighter before it loosened tremendously, his eyes closing for a moment as he tried to keep himself together. He spoke to me through an almost closed mouth.

"Just wait a moment."

He didn't say anything else as his face lost any sign of a temper and he pulled out his phone, making a call immediately. 

"Mr. Jones, please meet us now," he spoke, then pocketed the phone, gave me a furious once over and hurried back into the party room. I didn't have time to wonder why. I realised I had wasted enough time, so I spun around and hurried out the door and down the walkway towards where Mr. Jones would stop.

By then, tears had fully built up in my eyes and were running down my cheeks, and all I could think was that I couldn't lose him too.

I was ready to full on start sobbing when a car pulled up before my feet and Mr. Jones himself stepped out. He took one look at my face, despite the darkness of the night, save for the lit lampposts across the lawns of the club, and hurried around the car to open the passenger's door for me.