XVIII

"Once you embrace your value, talents and strengths, it neutralizes when others think less of you." Rob Liano

----

XVIII.

Jack watched as the familiar sights of London slowly started to disappear and their windows became greeted by a sea of countryside. Not even his book, which was sitting opposite him in the bag filled with essentials for the journey, would distract him. And that was indeed a first.

Never once had he been happy in that house save for these last two weeks with Claire. They truly were in their own little world, and Jack was entirely anxious for leaving it.

"When shall we announce the pregnancy?" Claire uttered quietly, breaking the silence with a question that she already knew the answer to.

They had discussed this a few days earlier, but Jack was grateful for the distraction.

"We agreed in a fortnight, yes? After the assembly. By your calculations, you will be nearing three months into your pregnancy. When the child is born, we will just say it is an eight-month baby, or perhaps we might even return to London for the birth and mask the date of birth."

"I should like to return to London," agreed Claire. "I ... I had such a marvellous time, Jack. I never thought I would be able to have such fun, but I did."

Her wording caused Jack to look down at her, and in her eyes, Jack saw the same anxiety. Claire was nervous, extremely so, and she had every right to be.

"They won't doubt," he promised her quietly. "We will ensure that they do not." Jack covered her hand with his and held it tightly. "I am glad you enjoyed yourself. Truth be told, I have never had a finer time in London, either."

"Do you think ..." Claire began, but then she stopped herself.

Jack frowned. "Do I think what?"

Claire looked down. "No, forget I said anything. It is really not my place."

Jack's curiosity was indeed intrigued, and anything was better than thinking about Ashwood House and its residents at that moment. "Tell me," he pressed. "It is your place as my wife to ask me whatever you like."

Claire took a breath. "Do you think, now that you are married, seemingly settled, your mother will be kinder to you?" Claire looked as though she regretted asking the question the minute it escaped her lips, and Jack couldn't help but let his shoulders roll forwards in disappointment as her question did not serve as a distraction.

"No," he replied simply.

"Because she does not approve of me?" Claire guessed.

"It is highly likely that she does not approve of you, but a wife is inconsequential to my mother's approval ... unless, of course, I wed a princess or something." Upon seeing Claire's disappointment, Jack clarified, "It would not be a personal slight, Claire, I assure you. I am certain, in time, my mother will like you very well. She certainly gets on with Grace, it appears. But I would still wager that if my brother felt inclined to wed an heiress with a dowry the size of Susanna's, she would be singing from the rooftop."

"She frightens me," confessed Claire. "I do not know how Grace manages her."

Jack chuckled. "Grace humours her, or at least from what I have seen. She listens to Cecily's lectures and advice before going behind her back and doing whatever she likes."

"You trivialise her, and yet I know she affects you," observed Claire. "I promised myself I wouldn't pry, but seeing as we are both going back into the lion's den, won't you tell me anything?"