XXIII

"Letting go means to come to the realization that some people are a part of your history, but not a part of your destiny." Steve Maraboli

----

XXIII.

To dance every dance was near impossible, as Claire quickly realised. She had thought she had escaped the first period of her pregnancy relatively unscathed as she had not experienced the nausea that Grace had. However, her energy levels were not quite what they had been. After two dances in a row, Claire was quite exhausted, and Jack happily retreated from the dance floor with her.

Claire found herself looking upon her husband with, what felt like, corrective spectacles. How had she not seen Jack properly? She had looked upon him a hundred times, and yet it suddenly felt like the first. Claire was only glad that Jack had not noticed Claire staring at him as she would have blushed terribly.

Claire was clinging to his arm quite closely, partially for support over her weary figure, but even through the fine wool of his coat, she could feel the strength in his arm. Jack led her over to where Adam and Grace were standing, near the entrance of the assembly hall. A quick search for the duchess surprised Claire, as she spied Cecily sitting down with Mrs Denham in deep conversation.

Susanna was taking advantage of her mother's distraction and was now dancing with Mr Andrews, Ashwood's grocer. Claire knew that Cecily would never have approved such a pairing, but Susanna seemed to be enjoying herself, even if her partner was too old for her. Mr Andrews would have a story to tell down at the tavern that he had danced with the beautiful Lady Susanna.

"I did not attend the assembly last year as Perrie was ill, and now I cannot dance this year. What once was an enjoyable date on the calendar is quickly becoming a disappointment," Grace muttered teasingly to Claire as she and Jack joined them. "You looked to be enjoying yourself, though," Grace observed with a smile.

Claire managed to control her blush. "Yes, Jack is a very fine dancer," she complimented.

Jack chuckled. "Likewise, my dear." Before he paused. "Perrie was ill last year?" he repeated, a sound of alarm in his tone.

Both Grace and Adam nodded.

"I am sure I wrote you," Adam recalled.

"You most certainly did not," retorted Jack. "What was wrong with her?"

Claire, who was still holding onto Jack's arm, felt it tense.

"It was just a little cold," replied Grace. "We had been out in the garden and it had started to rain. We kept watch to ensure it did not become lung fever and she bettered in a day or two." She spoke calmly, like a seasoned mother, and Claire wagered it would be the same tone Mrs Denham would use when she spoke of her children's past ailments.

"Well, how often does this happen? Do children always sicken so easily?" Jack demanded to know, panic evident in his voice.

"Jack," said Claire coolly, but he ignored her.

Grace glanced at Claire knowingly. She knew that Claire was expecting herself and that Jack's reaction was not solely out of concern for Perrie.

"I'll tell you what," Jack said determinedly, turning to look down at Claire. "Any child of ours will not be allowed outside if it is raining. Or at all if it is the least bit chilly."

Jack's statement made Adam laugh. "Well, I am afraid you live in the wrong country, brother," he joked. "You've seen how well Perrie is, and she loves to play in the garden."

Jack was simply vexed, and Claire couldn't help but smile. Jack was concerned for their child. It wasn't even born yet, and the man Jack knew to have sired the child was standing in the same room, and yet he knew the baby was his own. Claire realised that this was indeed the first time that she had thought of her child as theirs. It was not her own, and it was certainly not Arthur's.