4. Gifts And First Case Together

"There!" Tina handed him a gift bag, with something inside.

Gavin took it out, and it was a pair of black pants. They seemed like they were gonna be a bit tight on him.

"You got me a pair of pants? Oh, and there's a chain on them?"

"Yes, now go to the restroom and change! Please?" Tina enthuziastically told him, almost the whole precint hearing her.

"Fine, fine, just don't yell like that, everyone's looking at us"

"Oh, haha, sorry..." Tina got a little bit embarrassed when she looked around and realized Gavin was saying the truth.

There were a couple minutes of waiting, but here Gavin was, wearing the new pants, a sick chain hanging on his left hip.

"Holy shit, you're rocking, dude!" Tina covered her mouth, loving the way Gavin looked.

"They're a bit tight, and bring out my ass a bit more than I thought they would, but I like 'em."

"Gavin, you're not in college anymore, y'know" Chris laughed. "You're 37 years old today!"

"Fuck off, I love how I look, motherfucker" Gavin spat back, but without any real anger in his voice.

"Ok, gay boy, chill, now look at what I got for you." Chris gave him a little packed up present, and when Gavin packed it out his mouth was agape.
It was a mug with a picture of his cat printed across it.

"This is so fucking cute!" Gavin inspected the cup closely.

"Yeah, Baker is very cute, and I know you love him a lot, so I got you a mug with his picture on it."

"Thanks, Chris and Tina, you guys are amazing, and- I'm just so happy I have you guys in this world..."

"Hey now, no need to get emotional, we're with you whenever you need us." Tina hugged him, Chris following right after.

"So, we're going to a club at 8?" Gavin asked, once they broke apart.

"Yeah, I'm free" Chris answered.

"Sure, but can I bring my girlfriend too?" Tina asked.

"Yeah, obviously! She's a sweet one, you got yourself a keeper, Tina" Gavin complemented Amber, his best friend's girlfriend he's seen before a bunch of times.

"I know, Gavin, and if you're gonna try to snatch her, I will certaintly beat the shit out of you!" Tina jokingly said, pushing his arm softly.

"Nah, I'm fuckin' gay, Tina, so fat chance" Gavin laughed.

Chris spoke up, a bit off-topic.
"Aren't you gonna invite your new work partner to the party? Connor seems pretty sweet, I'm sure you'll get along..."

Gavin's laugh faded. "That thing? Oh fuck no. I don't even consider it a partner. Well, I guess it could replace me if I die or some shit, for all I care..."

Tina's expression saddened, and Chris instantly regretted the words he just said.

"N-No, Gavin-" Tina tried to find the right words to comfort her friend.

"I'll see you later, guys. Looks like the tin can at my desk is up to something." Gavin walked away, and both Tina and Chris just returned to their desks.

"Detective Reed, we have a case." Connor turned around from his tablet with case information, as soon as he heard the Detective coming towards him.

Gavin basically ignored him and took his own tablet to look at the case information himself.

Connor felt a bit neglected, since Gavin could have asked him the questions, this way it could have been quicker.

When Gavin read the major info and the adress, he was already setting off to leave, despite him being in definetly-not-suitable-for-work pants.

"See you later, dipshit." Gavin put on his jacket and toyed with his car keys in his hand as he was walking out.

Connor's LED blinked red cause of his nerves. He followed Gavin out and gripped him on his shoulder.

"Detective Reed. You may hate androids for whatever personal reasons, but that does not allow you to abandon me, cause we are partners and we must work together. It's been almost a year since me, an android, and you, a human, are considered equals. Please be professional and keep your opinions to yourself, and we won't have any problems."

Gavin just got angrier and angrier, and he hated it, cause now punching the android would get him in huge trouble.

"Whatever. My car's there." He grumbled as he lead the android to his car.

Gavin never felt so uncomfortable driving his own car, when an android was sitting beside him.

When he stopped by a red light, he slightly steered his eyes to Connor, to see the android creepily staring at him, it's LED flashing yellow.

"Are you analyzing me or some shit, what the fuck..." Gavin muttered, feeling even more uncomfortable.

"Yes, I'm sorry, I won't do it if you wish for me to not do it again." Connor lied, sounding as polite as possible.

"Yeah, you better not fuckin' do it, that shit's scary, you creepy-ass tin can" Gavin said whatever was in his brain, making Connor turn away from him.

To try and get rid of the awkward silence, Connor decided to say something.

"Detective, do you like cats?"

Gavin looked like he didn't hear the android at first.

Connor then gave up and felt embarrassed that he even tried.

"You're trying to get to know me so you can earn my trust? Good luck with that, piece of plastic." Gavin answered, making Connor feel even more defeated.

"But for shits and giggles, yeah, I do like cats. I have one myself." Gavin seemed to give in a bit.

Connor was about to ask for more details, but Gavin interrupted. "Now shut that pipe, tin can, I don't wanna listen to your stupid voice right now."

Gavin turned on the radio, to drown out the silence and tension between them. It kinda worked.

"We're here." Gavin informed, mostly just muttering to himself.

They both got out of the car and inspected the house a crime happened in recently.