8. Shot

Gavin groaned as he was forced awake. His head hit the window on the passanger seat roughly, most likely cause of a pot-hole on the road.

"Be more careful, plastic!" the man retorded, keeping his eyes tightly shut.

"Sorry, Detective, that shouldn't happen again." his android partner calmly replied.

Gavin only then noticed that one of his teenage year favourite songs, Sweater Weather by The Neighbourhood, was playing on the radio.

Despite being drunk, he remembered that the radio, with his favourite music CD inserted in it, was turned off before he fell asleep in the car.

"You've been listening to my music, tincan?" He grumbled, hardly opening his sleepy eyes.

Connor was caught off guard, surprized that Gavin actually tried talking to him, while driving. Whenever he spoke, he would be told to shut up.

"Yes, I have." Connor answered honestly, even though his answer might get a bad response from Gavin. "Your music taste is truly... Interesting. It's not bad, I like it. Maybe I'm just not used to not listening to mostly heavy metal and jazz with Hank-" Connor had started rambling at this point, so he stopped and turned to his partner.

Gavin looked like he wanted to laugh.

"What is it?" Connor asked him, confused. He expected Gavin to rant about him snooping or trying to earn his trust insincerely, but this was a different reaction from the man than he expected.

"A law enforcement android listening to jazz and heavy metal?" Gavin chuckled, with an uncharicteristically cheerful expression. "Yeah, Hank really is a bad influence on you." He finished, as Connor stared at him for a bit.

The taller android then looked back on the road, remembering that the man beside him is drunk.

"Would you introduce me to different kinds of music then, Detective?" Connor asked without thinking first, as he made the last turn on the road, closing in to the crime scene.

"I dunno, maybe..." Gavin's smile faded, as if he was getting back to his usual self slowly.

"We're here." Connor announced as he stopped by an apartment block in outskirts of town.

Gavin sighed in annoyance, then took a deep breath, collecting himself, and proceeded to step out of the car.

"Where do we go now, plastic detective?" He asked, pacing around for a bit.

Then, they heard screams and gunshots not far away from them.
"Get down!" Connor pounced on Gavin, who was startled by the sudden gunshots.

Both of them were behind left side of Gavin's car. "I'll show these motherfuckers-" Gavin instinctively reached for his gun holster, but it wasn't there.

Obviously. He wasn't planning to go catch shooters today, he was going to a club. "Goddamnit..."

Gavin was thirsty for action and risk taking, and when he saw that Connor had a pistol in his pants' backpocket, he couldn't not do anything about it.

Connor analyzed the scene as he peeked through the window's of the car he was kneeling behind with Gavin. He also called backup, just in case.

There were two shooters, with assault rifles, with traces of blue blood on their clothes. They wore black masks, so their identities were a secret to Connor.

One of them was tearing apart an android that was slumped against the wall of a building, while the other was walking up to the car. "Come out, tincan! I know you're hiding there!"

He knew Connor was an android, and probably wanted to tear him apart too. Connor shivered, reaching for his gun.

"Wh-" he panicked, his LED blinking red. His stress levels rose as he realized that both his and his human partner's lives were in great danger.

According to his split second calculation, their chances of survival were 15%.

"Reed, stay behind-" he turned to his partner, to realize he's not behind him anymore.

"Detective!" Connor's thirium pump skipped a beat when he heard another gunshot, which sounded like his missing gun's shot.

"Motherfucker!" The masked attacker's voice filled the parking lot. It seemed like he was in agonizing pain.

Connor was glad he called for backup. Two police cars dashed into the parking lot, where the scene had happened.

"Detroit Police! Gun down, arms in the air!" One of the officers yelled.

"That lunatic fuckin shot me in the arm, motherfucker!" Connor heard his rifle drop onto the ground as other officers came to the criminal's direction.

Connor figured it was safe to stand up and go check on Gavin, to see if he was alright.

"His accomplice is getting away!" Gavin yelled and chased after the other shooter, whom Connor saw earlier, tearing apart an android for biocomponents.

Connor ran after both of them.

He was an android, faster than both of them, there was no way he could not catch the criminal.

"Leave it to me, Detective, I'm-" Connor caught up to Gavin, but he attempted to outrun the taller android still, refusing to back down.
He didn't say anything, he was using enough oxygen to run.

They were in a tight alley, full of garbage. The shooter looked like a scary black shadow figure from a crappy movie to the detectives as he turned around and aimed his gun shakily at one of them, shooting his shot.

Gavin suddendly fell to the ground, crumpling up into a ball, yowling in pain.

Connor stopped in his tracks suddendly when he noticed blood pool below his partner.

The android then turned to the shadow not far from him. The shooter looked frustrated as he tried to use his gun, but ended up dropping it on the ground in panic and ran to the crowded part of the Detroit outskirts.
He ran out of bullets.

Connor could still get the criminal if he decided to accomplish his mission.

But he couldn't leave his partner, who is irreplacable, unlike androids, at risk of dying.

He kneeled down and tried to help Gavin with his shot wound, calling an ambulance for him in the process.

"Go catch him, you-" Gavin's voice sounded weak and raspy, like he was going to pass out soon.

"I'm sorry, Gavin, I can't let you die"
Those were the last words the bleeding detective heard, before his world went pitch black.