6. Nicotine

They found a body of an android.

"It's the MK300..." Connor said, after a quick face analysis.

The android was put in a black plastic bag, then buried under the family's house entrance.

"The killers probably thought nobody would find the android, after it's blamed for the murder." Gavin mumbled, being deep in thought.

"My theory is that at least two humans did this. It would be hard to get away with this crime all alone." Connor said.

"Humans? What if it's another android? Or androids?" Gavin questioned.

"Androids wouldn't be so sloppy with cleaning up the thirium. Unless they were in a rush. It was nighttime when the murder happened, so for humans, it was harder to see. I am 90% certain the ones who did it are two or more humans."

"Mhm. Makes sense, plastic detective." It was clear that Gavin was loosening up, cause they were making progress with the case.

Connor didn't pay attention to the dumb nickname and called over the other officers to take a look at what they found.

There were a lot of questions still unanswered.

The majority of today was Gavin, Connor and the other officers questioning the victim's family acquintances, but most of them had solid alibis, which wasn't helping at all.

"We'll investigate more tommorow, tin can, I'm going home now. I gotta be somewhere at 8." Gavin exclaimed, heading to his car.

"You're right. We'll investigate more tommorow." Connor agreed and left together with his partner.

They both entered the car, and just before Gavin started the engine up, he looked over to Connor. "Uh- Where do I drop your plastic ass off?" He looked angry again, unlike when he was investigating.

"Do you know where Hank Anderson lives?" Connor asked, obviously hinting him.

"Oh, then we're good." Gavin started up the engine and drove to the direction, which seemed to be going to Hank's house.

Since Connor didn't like the tension forming between them, he spoke up. "Good work today, Detective. I may have... Underestimated you before actually working with you as partners."

Gavin's eyebrows scrunched up. "You underestimated me? Pfft, everyone in my life did, so whatever."

That made Connor regret his choice of words. "No, all I want to say is that-"

"I don't need your flattery, Robo-cop, I'm just doing my job. Also, I'm okay with driving without you talking to me and asking stupid questions." Gavin wasn't easily going to let Connor reach him and he made it known.

Connor looked out the window instead, refraining from analyzing random things in Gavin's car, or Gavin himself.

"Is this the place, dispshit?" Gavin stopped near Hank's driveway.

"Yes, thank you, Detective, have a good night." Connor stepped out of the car and closed the door.

Gavin drove away, while he walked back home to his dad and Sumo.

Oh, what a long conversation will he have about the case with Hank.

- - -

"Phcking androids..." Gavin muttered under his breath after the android left the car.

Thinking about it now, they actually both were smart and got along in that case very well, as work partners.

"Pfft, I could have done it all myself, without his plastic ass around" Gavin told himself, absolutely refusing to give Connor any credit, despite working together perfectly.

He checked the time, to see that it was 6PM already.

"Heh, I have time" He grinned to himself, as he parked his car near the apartment block he lived in.

Without any rush, Gavin walked up the stairs to second floor, where he lived, feeling like his legs were going to give up on him any minute.

He unlocked the door on the left, hearing Baker's meows already.

"Hey, you little fucker" Gavin jokingly greeted his beloved cat, petting him and scratching the sweet spot behind his ear.

When he finished playing with Baker by the door, he decided to lay in bed for a few minutes, so he can regain some of the strengh he's gonna need tonight.

When he laid down, he noticed that one of the framed photos that used to be on the shelf was face-down on the floor.

"Ah, someone here tried to do parkour on the shelves here again..." Gavin used his arms to get up and go inspect the "crime" scene. "Well, at least the TV's not broken, so I probably won't mind."

Baker was on the other side of the room, embarrassed of his little shenanigan he did while his owner wasn't home.

Gavin picked up the frame and flipped it over, seeing the photo of his family, the one he didn't like very much for personal reasons, but still kept around.

The glass on top of the photo was cracked, but there were no shards anywhere.

"Good job on this one, Baker, but please refrain from knocking shit off shelves, will you?" He chuckled, not getting angry at all.

Yes, his cat can be problematic sometimes, but Gavin simply can't get mad at his furry friend. He's a life saver, afterall.

He put the photo back to it's place, despite it being cracked, and overall just not as pretty as before, then went out to his balcony for a smoke.

"Shit, haven't smoked all day, maybe this'll help me relax" he thought, as he lit the ciggarete between his lips.

Baker stayed in, since it was too cold for him in the balcony. It was October, rainy and cold.

In complete silence with his own thoughts, Gavin inhaled the smoke, feeling his head lighten as he exhaled into the cold Detroit air.

He thought about the case again for a bit, as he pulled more nicotine into his lungs again.

"Humans, trying to frame androids for murder..." He repeated his android partner's words it said when they were thinking of theories about their case.

"These people really do despise androids, don't they" Gavin thought.

He hates androids, yes, but he would never kill humans to try and make androids look bad, like one year ago, when the machines started "feeling" and having "emotions" and got sick of being mistreated.

The thought itself was just bizzare to Gavin. "Pfft. What the actual fuck did you create, Elijah?" He scoffed, mentioning his step-brother's name.

He exhaled one last pull of smoke and  threw his ciggarete into a puddle below the balcony.