Fred Weasley

6. Fred Weasley

Fred Weasley's funeral- everyone agreed- was the best there had ever been. 

George, of course, was the one to plan it, with help from his mother. At first, it was to be a quiet affair with only a couple of close family and friends and a bleak service. One day, though, George and Mrs Weasley were in the kitchen, planning and they watched in astonishment as Fred's hand on the clock (they hadn't had the heart to take it down) moved to 'Home' from 'Lost'. It was strange how the hand had stayed there the whole time, because Fred was only lost in the sense that he had died. Otherwise, he was very much found, his body awaiting burial. Counting it nothing but a malfunction, the two carried on the slow planning. 

Not long afterwards, however,  they heard talking and laughter from one of the upstairs rooms. That was strange, as Ron was the only other person inside the house, and people didn't laugh anymore. Not in the Burrow. Not after Fred. They were even more surprised when Ron ran down the stairs, a massive grin on his face and yelled one word.

"Fred!"

Both George and Mrs Weasley had immediately ran up the stairs to see what Ron was talking about. They burst into Ron's room and looked around, as though the dead Weasley would magically be alive again. What they found, though, was almost as good.

"Hey mum. George," said the portrait of Fred, grinning.

Mrs Weasley had immediately dissolved into tears and squeezed Ron. George, however, ran straight to the portrait and immediately began discussing in detail everything that had happened since he had died. They talked for hours, staying up late into the night together. Eventually, they got onto the topic of the funeral.

"You wanted to have what?! That's so boring!"

"Well, Fred," George mumbled, offended. "It's not exactly been enthralling to plan. And my life has been pretty horrible!"

"But making everyone wear black?" the portrait exclaimed. "That's positively ridiculous. Let me plan it."

And so it was that Fred Weasley planned his own funeral. And what a funeral it was.

People were instructed to wear bright colours. Anyone turning up in black or grey would be turned out or they would have their clothes transfigured. They set up a tent in the garden like they had for Fleur and Bill's wedding, with no walls, allowing the spring breeze and sunshine to warm everyone up. Golden chairs lined up on either side of an aisle, which would hold hundreds upon hundreds of people wanting to pay their respects. Multicoloured balloons hung from the ceiling, which, when popped, released confetti upon people, and small slips of paper with jokes on.

Everybody was invited, and anyone could speak. Even Draco and Narcissa- Lucius being in Azkaban- turned up. Draco took his turn in saying how he had always admired the twins' pranks from afar. Narcissa ended up sobbing on Andromeda's shoulder and the two sisters struck up a great relationship again, with Narcissa absolutely adoring and spoiling her great-nephew to her dying days.

The last person to speak was Fred himself. George put the portrait up at the front and he grinned at them all, told them all how he'd missed them and then started thanking people for their kind words. Needless to say, more than a couple of people fainted.

Fred Weasley's funeral was remembered for years to come and was thought of as it all funerals should be- a celebration of his life.

~AliceTheHPGeek