Dean Thomas and Luna Lovegood

3. Dean Thomas and Luna Lovegood

When the Trio left Shell Cottage, Dean began to feel as though he was imposing. He didn't know Bill or Fleur at all, so he felt it was quite awkward. As soon as they had gone, he had turned to Fleur and thanked her for her hospitality, but said he really ought to go. She immediately retaliated by asking him where he would go, which stumpted him. 

"You need to stay here," Bill had input. "It's the safest place for you. I know you're feeling a little out of place, but you only need to hang on for a little longer. If I know Harry, he'll be having a showdown with old Voldy any time soon. In the mean time, Ron told me you drew?"

He had magicked a pad and some pencils- not quills, thankfully- and handed them over. Dean had thanked him and went outside to draw. He drew shells, the sea, the Cottage, birds, Luna (when she passed on one of her walks) and faces he could slightly remember, like Harry's and Seamus's. He was anxious for the safety of his friends, becasue he didn't know whether they were safe or not. The drawing calmed him down and made him think of better times. Drawing has always made him feel this way. He soon ran out of things to draw, however, and was stuck staring at the sky, waiting for ideas to come. That was when Luna came in.

She had been staying at Shell Cottage, though it was as though she wasn't really there. She walked on her own along the beach, apparently lost in thought, all day. She didn't speak a word to anyone normally, but that day, she saw Dean and came and sat next to him, then launched into explanations about Crumple-Horned Snorkacks, Blibbering Humdingers and Nargles, describing them in detail. After about a minute, he realised what she was doing, sat up and began drawing them. They repeated this the next day, too, her telling and him drawing, until Bill came out and told them the news about Harry, Ron and Hermione breaking into Gringotts and escaping on a dragon. Dean drew that, too. It was a way for both of them to take a lighter edge on recent events.

They stayed good friends after the Battle, meeting up on weekends at the Leaky Cauldron to talk and draw and to get away from problems. They managed to publish a book, along with help from Luna's husband, Rolf. They called it Scamanders'  Creatures: Real or Not Real? which contained creatures Rolf had discovered, along with Luna's creations. They borrowed a line from a Muggle book Dean had particularly enjoyed and it was a bestseller among both the Muggles and the Wizarding world.