Neville Longbottom

4. Neville Longbottom

The only person who knew the truth about Neville's toad, Trevor, was Augsta, his grandmother, and the shopkeeper who sold it to her. She had been in one of her 'act now, think later' moods, when she did impulsive things, like buy a toad for her grandson who had just shown his magical ability. The toad was a Caritas Bufo- a Love Toad. It was the last one known to humankind and was on special offer. The toad was supposed to lead the owner to their true love. Augusta, thinking of how much trouble her grandson had had with love so far in his life, decided this was exactly the thing he needed. So she bought it.

The toad showed no magical abilities at first. He just ran away all the time, and Neville complained countless times to his grandmother, who asked the shopkeeper what was happening. She explained in mystic tones that he needed to follow the toad, so Augusta instructed him to do so.

That was how he met Hannah.

He was looking for Trevor one day, when he was led outside by the Lake. It was a horrible rainy day, so he was surprised to see a girl sitting next to the Lake, with no cloak to cover herself or anything. In her hands she held his toad. 

He nervously approached her and cleared his throat. She looked up at him and smiled. 

"Is this your toad?"

He nodded and she handed him over. 

"You know, he does that a lot," the girl who he recognised as Hannah Abbot, a very keen Herbologist. "He keeps coming and finding me. All the time. It's strange, don't you think?"

Neville nodded, then blurted out, "Aren't you cold?"

She smiled and shook her head. "I'm thinking. You're welcome to join me."

Neville sat and thought with her. 

They repeated this several times over the next few days, and they found a friend in one another. She told him about her mother being killed, and he in turn, told her about his parents. She was the first person he told. 

When she left because of her mother, Neville went back to being friendless, and Trevor took to disappearing for long amounts of time. He felt alone, and so threw himself into the DA in his seventh year, making friends with Ginny and Luna, who were really nice, but didn't quite replace Hannah.

During the Battle, he saw her and it was as though she was an angel. He ran to her aid- she was slowly being beaten by a Death Eater- and kissed her, on impulse. They were one of the many couples to get together during the Battle, including the long-awaited Ron and Hermione.

When he told his grandmother the story, she beamed with pride and told him that she was the one for him, and that he could waste no time in telling her. So he did, and they got married and moved in above the Leaky Cauldron.

The secret of Trevor is still secret to this day, and, after mysteriously disappearing at the wedding, he has never been seen since.