Chapter 6

"Don't run around too much," Carter instructed, his trembling hands carefully smoothing out the child's collar. He cursed to himself silently. Ever since he cried that one night, it was as if it had become a routine for the next following nights. Crying and sobbing to the point his lower lip had become bruised due to the frequent biting in order for him to keep quiet. He, unconsciously or not, gradually started getting used to feeling drowsy first thing in the morning.

Surprisingly, imagining that he was getting up early in preparation for heading out to school helped a lot.

But the thought of even preparing for school would immediately be annihilated by the sight and smell of where he currently slept, the depressing reality crashing down on him every time he woke up. This was not home. At least, he had come to accept that this was his world now, a fantasy novel that wasn't even in the main part of the story. However, he will not accept this as his home. He absolutely refuse it.

Shi Ba may have thought of this as his home, and, although it was a miserable thing to say, his life was practically built here for the majority of his life. Lower-ranks didn't have much of a choice now, did they? They're no different from being tamed and treated like animals, destined to be used by those who stand above them.

Carter was not Shi Ba, though.

They may share the same body as well as memories, but that didn't mean they would share the same thoughts.

He should- no, he will never forget his identity. The identity that was the only thing that kept him connected to those dear to him. It was the only way to hold onto his family who he will never see again. The faces that used to annoy him at times now only served as a faint remembrance. For once, he just wanted to get scolded by his mother one last time, encouraged by his father one last time, and even get annoyed by his sister one last time.

Those speeches about family shared during school assemblies that he deemed as useless only brought more pain than comfort. He would constantly hear the same words echoing at some points.

Love your family as if it was your last day.

But he wasn't prepared at all. He should have at least hugged them one last time before he went.

He wasn't ready..

"Brother Shi?" The child looked up in concern, feeling the hands against their robes tighten into fists. Carter quickly noticed his own strange behaviour, gingerly pulling away before he covered up with a forced cough. "Yes, I'm done now. Go on, you can play now," he spoke, voice hoarse and tired. If one were to listen closely, they may even hear a light wheeze erupting from the teen's chest whenever he inhaled deeply.

He weakly stood up from his squatting position, head spinning and going numb the moment he did so. The bruises on his legs had yet to heal, and only contributed to how much discomfort he was feeling as he tried to steady himself. Walking proved to be even more difficult the moment he took a few steps towards the kitchen quarters. But in the end, he still had to force through his limits anyways, trudging along the path as he leaned against any nearby walls for support.

"Hey, have you heard the news?"

Forget it. His brain was too fucked out to even work properly.

Carter dropped down to his knees with a heavy thump, and just stayed in that position as he stared up at the ceiling with feigned boredom. If they can't see the pain, ensure you're not showing any pain, is what he's learned upon enduring beatings. Still, everything would hurt no matter what he did, so in a way, it was all useless effort. "Brother Shi!" A voice called out cheerily.