Chapter 16

Perhaps it was the nausea that came after throwing up that made him feel tipsy the moment he decided to strike a conversation with the crown prince. Or perhaps it was due to too much excitement and panic. Maybe it was just plain bad luck, he seemed to have too much of it nowadays. No sane person would ever willingly provoke a man who is damningly near the edge of his own wits with the high possibility of doing murder as soon as he falls.

Especially not Jun Wu.

A knot starts to build up in his throat, as though it was blocking out oxygen from being breathed in. He was sure- he made sure that he had kept on formalities, even with the previous embarrassment. He didn't overstep his boundaries, nor did he show any sign of disrespect. He made sure of it. "Do you need anything else?" Carter's heart nearly broke through his ribcage from the stutter in his steady heartbeat. It was just a voice, but its impact was the same as a punch to his gut. The prince cocks his head to the side, confused yet still maintaining a polite smile.

Yet it still felt chilling. No matter what expression he may have, whether kind or cruel, it was as though he had already witnessed his killing spree in the flesh. His impression of the noble had already been solidified like stone. This man couldn't be trusted, at all. There was an obvious barrier that dared anyone to try him once they crossed it. It was hidden well, veiled with his never-changing saintly aura that was loved by everyone. Now, it only looked thicker; suffocating and forced, as though it was about to burst at any moment.

It would be a lie to say he wasn't scared. Carter knew the feeling well; it seeped into his bones ever since he had been alone, before he had met his companions, after he had left them. In the beginning, he'd been wandering aimlessly in this world of fiction with no goal in mind, enduring a harsh role of service in a household that only abuses it, and bit by bit, he had started to become more thick-faced, pretending that the needle-like sensation of humiliation did not affect him. As though he was no longer fearful of what was to come his way.

That was a lie. He had always been scared, it just seemed to be subtle to most people.

But each time, he had gotten through it. He daren't say he was courageous, but he can adapt.

He was very good at that.

He can adapt to this.

Carter saluted the taller man, lowering his head in a display of respect; a gesture that undoubtedly shows the difference in their status, whatever that may be now that civilisation has collapsed in on itself, and also a gesture that can possibly aid him in getting out alive, whether it be at present or at a later point. He could see Jun Wu nod as he did so, only as to return the motion. Flattery may not make the cut, but sincere decency was something that was often underrated, but appreciated all the same. "Your highness," he started as soon as he stood straight, "this one thanks you for your help earlier."

Jun Wu just nods again, still polite and, surprisingly, patient for what he had to say. "I..." Carter slowly shut his eyes in a solemn manner, as though he were falling deep into absolute gratitude, when in actuality, he just couldn't bear looking into the eyes of a future murderer. "This servant wants to return the favour. You've helped me when I was in a time of need, and you've offered me this." He shows the cloth resting in his palm, held delicately as though it could rip at the slightest rough movement. A pair of eyes rest on the object in a similar fashion, but Carter didn't need to guess who the gaze belonged to for him to continue.