Chapter 9

Warm. It felt so warm.

Carter was almost close to crying, leaning in further into the hug that enveloped him. He was prepared, yes. He even memorised a small script in his head as Su Xiaochen hurriedly dragged him to where his last home was. But now that he was actually here, his body felt as if it had disconnected from his head. Now he only felt at a loss, his hands unsure whether to hug back or not.

"Brother.."

"Ningjing.."

A tear steadily came out. But before anymore could fall, a soft cloth had lightly dabbed against his cheek, effectively drying the lone tear away. Yuan gave him a bright grin, despite the dim, dull ache in his eyes. It.. really was too nostalgic, yet unfamiliar at the same time. "You guys.." Carter bit his lip. He observed the duo's features, noticing just how time affected them since the last time he's seen them.

Li Ming had started to grow wrinkles around the crease of her brows, an obvious and unstoppable sign of aging, but somehow, she looked more at peace than ever. Her once-strict, and often times cruel, persona had softened to a point of playful nagging. A feat he never expected her to overcome in a few years' time. To his surprise, she even beckoned Su Xiaochen to come to her side so she could wrap a scarf around her bare neck. His chest tightened. He suddenly felt like there really was no more time left.

Of course, there really wasn't, but it was still too difficult to accept.

"I'm sorry.." He glanced down to his lap, fisting his hands into his pants. "That time, I.. didn't want to leave. I truly didn't. I was brought away, but it was against my will.." Li Ming looked calm, almost accepting even. She gently placed her hand on top of his clenched fist, not at all hesitant in her actions. "What you did no longer matters now. It is not your fault. I would even think that you got tired of us," she laughed softly. "Not like I don't understand why. We've used you, Ningjing."

"That's.. that's not true.." However, as he was saying this, Carter couldn't help but think that it did feel that way a bit. Despite wanting to repay Yuan for giving him some.. bun or something similar to that at the beginning, he could've just bought what he was given and pay back the debt. Yet, he still continued to work. It could've been just for himself, and he had not much of a clue why he decided to provide for all three of them when he started doing odd jobs and labour. But he still felt much happier back then..

The child saw the opportunity and took advantage of his silence. "Brother, don't worry. I can do some jobs now. It'll be easier to earn more money this way. Sister Su is also helping us as well," he spoke giddily as he bounced a bit in his spot, seemingly excited about what his response was going to be. Carter was a bit taken back, unknowingly turning to look at the female leaning on the side of the doorway. He raised a brow questioningly.

".. Huh?" Su Xiaochen had been playing with the scarf wrapped around her neck for the past time, not noticing the sudden shift of attention until she felt the burn of multiple eyes drilling into her frame. "Ah, mn." She only smiled back sheepishly, somehow still able to remember the question. Li Ming stared blankly, and she immediately straightened up, acting quite poised and proper.

However, the momentary behaved state didn't last for long and she began readjusting her sleeves as she shyly stared down at the floor instead of initiating eye contact.

His eyes slowly widened at the silent action, his realisation coming a bit too late. Her job was obviously not easy to talk about, considering the things she has to do and endure. Judging by her somewhat embarrassed stance, he might've just crossed over a line he wasn't supposed to. He calmly cleared his throat, turning to face his front once more. "Don't.. Don't overwork yourself though, now that I'm here- I mean.." Carter considered slapping himself unconscious at this point.