Chapter 7

Carter may or may have not just messed up.

Okay, hear him out first.

Ever since they set off to travel to who-knows-where, out of everyone in the group, he had the most baggage. He carried all the baggage, actually. It would even block the sight of where he stepped so he had to be careful of his leverage, which was difficult enough when the side of the mountain they hiked on had rocky trails in its tracks. But he assumed the journey would turn out the same as any other ones he's had in the past.

Until it wasn't.

He was literally just walking like any other normal person- when suddenly, his ankle decided to fail him at the very moment they were edging near a drop. It was way too perfect timing. Even the assistant who stood behind him didn't have enough time to react. Bo Liu was close to catching his sleeve in a heartbeat, but she was still a young, frail little girl. She probably would've fallen with him if she tried to haul him back to safety. So he quickly pulled his hand farther from reach, watching as the cliff grew farther and farther away.

His heart was seriously going to stop. Why did this body hate him so much?

The basket on his back wasn't even worth it anymore! One more beating shouldn't be too hard to manage anyway. It's not as if he wasn't used to it already. As he fell, he struggled to untangle himself. Perhaps if he put it in front of him, it would somehow be able to soften the impact of the ground. Yet, the world was not on his side at the moment, or any moment actually- now that he thought about it.

The surroundings were growing dark, the light shining from the afternoon sun growing dimmer and dimmer.

He couldn't even tell if he was getting closer to the ground or not, anxiety chewing at his bones as he awaited.

Finally, he landed.

A loud splash, followed by an annoying ringing in his ears, was the only thing that his brain could comprehend. Carter felt muddled and in a daze somehow. Everything was just so cold, the air was practically non-existent until he let his jaw go slack, inhaling a dangerous amount of water into his lungs. Somehow, he could also taste a mild inky substance, most likely from the supplies he had been carrying. It seemed like every body of water he would come across hated him, wanting to drown him every chance they could.

The basket was no longer suited for his survival, so he, with no hesitation whatsoever, let go of his hold and began to swim upwards. It was so clear, that he could see himself nearing the surface, waves and ripples being the only guide he had. He took a deep breath, coughing out mouthfuls of fresh water as soon as he brought his head above.

Distantly, the smell of ground ink breached his nose, causing him to scrunch up a bit in distaste. Carter scanned around in a hurry, relief rushing through his veins as soon as he saw the outline of a small island nearby.

The male swam over, still coughing out whatever just entered his lungs as he crawled to safety. Despite it being dark, he could still make out the feeling of soft grass beneath his fingers. It felt strange; not uncomfortable, but too comfortable instead. Lingering in the air was a fresh scent of nature, somehow similar to how it smelled after a good rainfall, yet not at the same time. Although, he couldn't exactly smell that well after what he had experienced. His nose was extremely clogged up.

He didn't care for that anymore, flopping onto his back as he breathed heavily, droplets of water still dripping down his temples and hair.

Life really must've hated him.

If anything, he thought he would've died by burning in lava like the others, but now it seemed like he was gonna die through hunger, and from the cold. Carter stared up at the far-away slit of light. He doubted they would come back for him now this time, perhaps Bo Liu and Bo Wu would suggest a search for him, but he somehow had the strangest feeling they wouldn't pursue. Carter heaved a sigh, chuckling hoarsely to himself as he brought his arm up to cover his eyes.