Chapter 2

"Young master! Please wake up, young master!"

"Big brother, wahh!! Don't die!!"

Carter groans weakly, irritated with the noises that grew louder as he grew more conscious. "Can you please shut up?" He sighs, wincing as he groggily opens his eyes. The blurry sight of a grey, cement ceiling greeted him first before his vision managed to cleared up. He stares listlessly for a moment, absentmindedly observing the particles of flying dust in the air that was lit up in the streak of sunlight from some random crack in the wall behind him. Carter tried sitting up from his position, only to feel as if his limbs had suddenly been smashed against a tree. All over his body was a dull aching that grew increasingly painful by every passing second.

A hand gently grasped onto his arm.

"Big brother, you're alivee!!" Yuan wailed from beside him, looking like he wanted to embrace him but decided against it once he saw the teen's miserable state. Carter hummed in acknowledgment despite not knowing what he acknowledged. "This.. Where am I?" He asked drowsily. There was a small tug from his side, and the male was immediately pressured to sit up in order to somehow not disappoint the person's efforts of assisting him. The hand on his arm left swiftly after he was able to stable himself, causing him to lazily turn to the side in a muddled state of curiosity.

The petite, tensed-up figure of the girl from the brothel instantly cleared away the drowsiness.

"You.. What's your name?" He finally asked after a short while of silence. And really, really awkward staring.

"S-Su Xiaochen.." She answered timidly, lowering her gaze to look down at the ground. Carter nodded and drew his line of sight towards his surroundings in a daze, his head still spinning and throbbing painfully. He unconsciously pressed his fingers against his temples. After a while of recalling the past events that led up to the current situation, the should-have-been-obvious realisation hit him like a pile of bricks.

"Where is she?"

"Who? Mom?" Yuan questioned. "She's buying food. She says we're gonna have meat buns today!"

"Meat bun..?"

Yuan nodded with enthusiasm, grinning as he brought his hands together, as if he were holding something between them, and exaggerated a big bite; an obvious display of how a meat bun would be eaten. Carter chuckled and ruffled the child's hair. "Thank you.. For being my translator," he smiled, feeling amusement bubbling up as the youngster just tilted his head in confusion. "And you.." Su Xiaochen lowered her gaze and shrank a bit upon seeing the male turn his head towards her once more.

Carter stared for a moment before grinning, lifting a hand up to ruffle her hair. "Thank you as well."

She flushed and nervously fixed her sleeves, "I didn't- I only prayed to his highness.."

"En. Thank you."

.. He had no idea what she just said. But hey, it must've been something nice, right?

~~~

Su Xiaochen kowtowed three times in front of the god's statue before clasping her hands together as she gently shut her eyes. "Your highness, thank you for saving that man. He.. He is a good person, and he.. He told me how I shouldn't listen to my senior bullies. I.. I am but a mere upcoming prostitute but he made me feel more than that. Please, I beg of you, protect that man and keep him from harm. He truly is a kind person, my lord," she murmured softly, yet it felt as if her voice had echoed through the hall like a silent whisper.