Chapter 1

When night time fell, the trio had returned to their broken-down, little apartment space.

Inside the home, Carter was inconspicuously facing the wall as if it was the most fascinating thing in the world after Tacos, while Yuan was quickly ushered to the side and dressed in new clothes by Li Ming. After a few minutes had passed, and the soft childish complaints had died down, Yuan immediately sped over to the absent-minded teen to tug on his sleeve, eyes expectant. The said teen just blinked and then yelped, dragged forward by the child to lie on the bed. He sat obediently, still confused as the child lay next to him, still staring up at him.

Oh, his mind supplied helpfully after a moment and he smiled, getting comfortable as he leaned back, clearing his throat softly.

It was time for storytelling.

He starts the same way every story does. "Once upon a time, there lived a prince who was loved dearly by his people and was even praised and doted on in the heavens above. Because of such, he was given the title, 'The Darling Of The Heavens'. Just about the same as any other Crown Prince in any other novel." Carter idly plays with the strands of hair scattered on the pillow. The side of his lips twitched, nearly forming into a grin. "Everyone worshipped him, offered him riches and foods of the like. He was just that amazing of a person. Like an abstract displayed in a museum." He shushed the babbling Yuan, gently bringing up the blanket to cover most of the child's body.

He scooted a bit closer to the smaller body, not wanting to fall off the bed a second time. That happened only once, but the experience was embarrassing enough that he didn't want to risk another chance of it happening again. Carter cleared his throat a bit, avoiding the heavy gaze of curiosity from below him. Although Yuan was just a small boy, he already had an intense look in his eyes. Perhaps it was just a children's thing to look creepy without a thought. The teen continued softly, "The prince was dawned with jewellery and exquisite clothing, almost blinding to mortal eyes. Despite this, he was never arrogant and worked earnestly for his kingdom and worshippers."

Li Ming sat on the side quietly, folding clothes on her lap as she listened to the male speak, and often coo or hum, at her son on the bed. Even now, she cannot decipher what on earth he was saying at times. He seemed to speak only gibberish, perhaps from the lack of proper mental care that enabled most people to speak legibly. But yet, it did not seem that way at the same time. He spoke strangely, but it looked as if he knew what he was doing or what words he was saying. He just didn't care if others found it strange of him to speak differently.

A carefree personality, she mused to herself.

When there was a slight shift in movement from behind her, she quickly went back to folding the sheets that were scattered on the floor, seemingly indifferent and focused on her work. Carter hums to himself, a lilt tinting his near-silent voice, "There came a time when the prince foresaw the blood-curdling future that awaited to befall upon his kingdom. People were screaming and shouting at him, 'Save us, Crown Prince! Save us!' But the prince couldn't, even when he tried his hardest to. He had the heart.. but not the strength."

Yuan blew a raspberry as he played around with Carter's shoulder-length hair. Saliva nearly coated the dark locks. "Hey, don't eat it, how gross," Carter tutted, pulling the strands away before twirling them around his finger, unconsciously observing the thread-like feeling and appearance. It certainly was a strange shift from his ruffled-up, messy short hair back in his first life. Now, it was as if he was wearing a synthetic wig rather than real locks of hair. He couldn't help but try curling it in an attempt to have it go wavy.

It didn't, sadly enough.

Carter swiftly returned to the story, feigning ignorance at the stares being burned from below and behind him. The fervent staring was, apparently, a mother-son thing. "The prince was devastated and deserted, everyone had lost faith in him for they no longer have any use of him," he paused before hesitantly carrying on, "except for one believer who always stuck with him and prayed to him endlessly... His name was.."